Dying Rhodie?

BrandyWine99(6A)June 30, 2012

I have a rhodie that was planted last year. It seemed to be doing well, but just today I noticed how sickly it had become. Many leaves are yellowing and falling off, and I notice that the stems are likewise yellowing. Is this a ph issue? The picture I have attached was from a few weeks ago, but I notice today that the yellowing is apparent in the picture. I did not notice it then.

The rhodie is planted in a eastern-facing exposure, part-sun. I think it is a Bessie Howell or Roseum (I forget which). I water less than I probably should, even though it has been hot, as I do not want to rot the roots. I tried to plant in a mound, but I think I didn't do enough. If I dug it up and replanted it, would that help?

I love this plant and do not want to lose it. :(

~~Brandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akamainegrower

It's perfectly natural for the oldest leaves to yellow and then fall and many rhodendron stems are naturally yellowish before they mature and become woody.

All in all, the picture seems to show a healthy plant. Deadheading the seed pods would be a good idea and some selective pinching would encourage bushier growth, if you want that.

Digging up and re-planting is an option, but doesn't really seem to be necessary.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 7:28AM
More Discussions
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
Good site to order blue?
Hi, I am looking for a west coast nursery that sells...
kjmm1
Azaleas dying
Hello. We are having a problem with some newly planted...
westminstress
rescuing older, non-blooming azaleas
When we moved into our (very overgrown) house last...
pollyfan
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™