Rain in midwest affecting rhododendrems

gschrodeJune 30, 2008

I live in Indiana and as you know the midwest has gotten lots of rain. Our yard has not been touched by the flooding but we have had lots and lots and lots of rain. My rhododendrems lower leaves are turning yellow with brown spots and falling off. Normally my soil drains ok. but the soil is very saturated. Is there anything I can do to save these plants from root rot? Compared to what others have lost a few plants isn't much but if there is anything I can do to stop the progression I would like to hear it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Brown spots sounds like mildew, which may have been going to happen regardless of the rain. Look up rhododendron mildew.

Bookmark   June 30, 2008 at 8:51PM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Ditch them to provide drainage. This means digging trenches adjacent to the planting to drain away surface water so the rhododendron planting doesn't become saturated.

If you were very ambitious you could make a raised bed, but that is lots of work. Drainage is the most important thing with rhododendrons. Good Luck!

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 7:34AM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Yellowing of leaves surfaces, often with brownish burned areas, occurring on leaves that are more exposed to sun, is caused by more sun exposure than the plant is able to tolerate. Some varieties need shade, while all plants that have been protected from direct sun will be tender until hardened off by gradual exposure to sun light. Possible solutions are to give the plant more shade or move it to a more protected site.

After pruning rhododendrons, they normally show this sun scald because the newly exposed areas are tender.

Turning yellow and/or orange is also what leaves do when the plant is shedding older leaves. When the plant is not healthy, it sheds its older leaves sooner.

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 8:01AM
More Discussions
Yaks for Richmond, VA?
I am considering two Rhodies for a small, shaded, urban...
jupitertree
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
Rhododendron & Azalea Disease & Pest Book
There is an up-to-date book that just came out that...
rhodyman
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea Background: I...
Cliff Pruitt
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™