PJM rhodies wobbling/tipping over

jlb307June 7, 2009

I planted two PJMs on a slight slope on my yard about two weeks ago, and noticed on their second or third day in the ground that they seemed like they were "wobbly" and about to tip over. For now I have them staked to try and straighten them so they don't get any worse.

They've been getting water, and they look healthy. For some reason, they keep leaning over and just don't seem to want to stand up straight.

I'd rather not dig them up and replant them, considering it's the first week of June already, but I don't want to stake them forever. Not sure replanting would work anyway, seeing as how wobbly they are.

Is there anything I can do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Stake them, but do NOT plant them deeper. Unfortunately they may have damaged root systems. Perhaps they were lifted by the tops rather than the pots. Being wobbly is not normal.

When planted they should have had the root balls opened up and spread out. At this point it would be easy to see if there was any root damage. If the root ball wasn't opened up, then definitely replant doing this, but do not plant any deeper than they were in the nursery, in fact raise a little.

After planting, mulch carefully. Staking when planting is not too unusual and probably a good idea in any case.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

Bookmark   June 7, 2009 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
azalea few yellow leaves
I'm having a problem with some of my azaleas. Their...
trees_in_winter
brown azalea
I bought this year, at the beginning of summer a small...
curcubeu
floral azelea question
I just got an azelea from a grocery and it looks like...
fievel38
Can anyone identify?
Hi these are two azaleas that we have had here since...
hello459
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™