Is this an azalea? What's wrong with it?

dkgarberJune 20, 2008

The previous owner never did a stitch of yard work. All the shrubs had never been touched and were overgrown w/brush/weeds when we moved in.

I uncovered this little guy while weeding. I've been here 2 years and never knew this existed (it was in a far corner part of the yard--a bit of a "wild" spot).

I dug it out from the brush and miraculously, it bloomed this spring, but barely. The blooms look like azalea flowers. Does anyone know what species this might be???

Also, the leaves are spotted-some tiny white spots and a few brown. Is this fungal, or lacebug?? I was thinking of spraying it with Neem oil, but I wans't sure if this damage was done many years ago and whether or not there was anything I could do to help it.

It's not the healthiest looking plant, but has some new growth. I want to help it along..any thoughts??

http://render1.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDofRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQQQJxnQexePlxv8uOc5xQQQlPleeJP0eeqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QPnn%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442

http://render1.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3Axxr%3D0-qpDofRt7Pf7mrPfrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQQQJxnQexePlxv8uOc5xQQQlPleeJP0eaqpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gX0QoQ0%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dkgarber

sorry...link didn't work. Try this

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery plant close up

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 8:51PM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

It looks like a rhododendron but azaleas are rhododendrons. It is not possible to positively identify when it is not blooming.

Don't spray until you find out the problem and then just treat the problem. Some problems are caused by malnutrition and some are insect related. Spraying may actually create more problems since there are many beneficial insects. In general, rhododendrons don't need spraying except for special conditions. I haven't sprayed mine for at least 20 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Problems and Their Solutions.

Bookmark   June 20, 2008 at 10:25PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Perhaps it has, or did have, lace bugs?

Here is a link that might be useful: the 2nd picture

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 1:53AM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

If it is lace bugs the undersides of leaves are covered with dark brown to black, sticky spots of excrement. The fact that it could be lace bug is the main reason for not spraying. Lace bugs are normally controlled by beneficial insects. Sprays kill the beneficial insects that naturally control the lace bugs. The best long-term control for lace bug is to move the plant to a shadier area.

Also, the National Arboretum warns: "excess nutrients may promote larger than normal populations of azalea pests like lace bugs and azalea whiteflies."

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Problems and Their Solutions.

Bookmark   June 22, 2008 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
How can I revive my dying azalea? Please help
So I'm really horrible at keeping plants alive, but...
kateyyy
Azaleas dying
Hello. We are having a problem with some newly planted...
westminstress
Most mini
I bought one purple blooming azalea years ago in Laconia...
coppice
What type os Azalea to buy to achieve this...
My ultimate goal is to achieve the edge in the linked...
gatremonti
Attractive grouping of companion plants for deciduous azalea
Hello! I've lived in my house a year and now I'm planning...
Kristin
Sponsored Products
60x34" Granite Shower Base Black Stone - QUASAR SHADOW
Living'ROC
Fascination Three-Light Bath Fixture in Hammered Ore with Recycled Glass
$419.00 | Bellacor
Vesper Glass and Chrome Mini Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting
Molten Lace Vase - GOLD
$485.00 | Horchow
Fresca Oxford 30" Traditional Bathroom Vanity - Antique White
Modern Bathroom