frustrated, somethings is digging at the roots

yvonnealh(Z7GA)June 20, 2006

Something is digging at the roots of my azaleas bushes. I cover them up and a few days they are dug into again. They damage the stems and leaves. Looks like the stems and leaves were pull off and discarded on the side. It is not eating the stems or leaves just digging. Any idea what they are digging for?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I think I'd be more curious about what is doing the digging :)

Have you tried a repellent like Havaharts (the pet friendly company) Critter Ridder? Skunks and Racoons will dig for garden helpful worms, and things more sinister like grubs. Other than the digging have your plants been healthy?

I was finding little silver dollar sized holes all across my lawn after watering last summer - racoons were pawing around after dark. Since it was the lawn and not expensive perennials or shrub beds, I just let them go.

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 11:32PM
yvonnealh(Z7GA)

plants are healthy, just torn up from the digging. I have some wind chimes with little balls at the end of the pendulum and they have bitten it off twice. I found it on the other side of the yard. Will start scouting books for a pepper potion to brew up. Hope it works. Japanese Beetles are in full force.

Bookmark   June 21, 2006 at 10:15PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

The Critter Ridder is made of oils of several different peppers, granulated for longer effectiveness - our WalMart carries it

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
Attractive grouping of companion plants for deciduous azalea
Hello! I've lived in my house a year and now I'm planning...
nonconformist_nymphette
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
Canon's Double - wilting! Help!
I planted 2 Canon's Double Azaleas about 6 weeks ago....
Carol.123
floral azelea question
I just got an azelea from a grocery and it looks like...
fievel38
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™