Impeditum vs Moerheim

ebsterJune 30, 2008

I planted 5 Impeditum (2 gallon plants) two years ago, and they did fine during the growing season. However, last spring, most of them were looking very dried up. It came w/ a one year warranty, but I didn't want to dig them up - really like their looks and wanted to give them a chance to recover. As of this year, only one look decent. Two are gone and two only have some green in the tip of one small section. I saw some Moerheim in the store today. They look similar to the Impeditum and I was wondering if anyone has experience growing them. Are they hardier than Impeditum?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

R. impeditum is a species that is hardy to -15F.
"One of the best dwarf rhododendrons, this species has a tight compact habit with attractive silver-gray foliage. Bright blue-purple flowers make a nice contrast. David G. Leach, in Rhododendrons of the World, suggests an excellent use for it: "This is an ideal species for the rock garden, in the forefront of a shrub border or as an edging for beds. Planted about 15" apart, a number of plants will grow together to form an impenetrable ground cover, handsome at all seasons and especially effective when such an expanse becomes a blanket of blue flowers."[Harold Greer]

Rcv. Moerheim is a impeditum hybrid that is also hardy to -15F. Buds appear on very young plants; flowers open a pretty shade of violet, about 1.25in wide. Small foliage turns maroon in the winter.

For a hardy semi-dwarf rhododendron my recommendation would be Rcv. Ramapo. It is hardy to -25F. It is a popular variety and should be available at better rhododendron nurseries.
"Plentiful pale violet flowers dance amid this bushy blue-green mat of leaves. At Greer Gardens we have all become fond of ÂRamapo for its pleasing foliage color changes throughout the year, especially favored are the dusty blue new leaves following a shot of growth. This hardy dwarf can be grown in sun or partial shade, although in full sun it will maintain a more compact form. It is well suited for use in a low border or rock garden. Outstanding!"[Harold Greer]

Bookmark   July 1, 2008 at 7:54AM
More Discussions
Mid-Atlantic: What are the most evergreen azaleas?
Unfortunately most of my azaleas are not named. But...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Rhody leaves getting smaller every year
Hi! I have a rhododendron (I think it's a loreley)....
hyakamooks
Is this a rhododendron?
Moved here in July. Still trying to figure this out....
ssmo
How do I get rid of this growth on my azaleas?
How do I get rid of this growth on my azaleas? They...
63buglover
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
Sponsored Products
Wadsworth Chrome Two Light Vanity Strip with White Opal Etched Glass
$53.00 | Bellacor
USA vs CAN Hockey Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
$74.99 | zulily
Avanity MADISON-VS60-TO-B Madison 60 in. Vanity Combo with Beige Marble Top
Blue Bath
Avanity WESTWOOD-VS24-WW-B Westwood 24 in. Floor Standing Vanity Combo
$956.25 | Blue Bath
Nella Brushed Steel Vanity Strip
$35.50 | Bellacor
KRAUS Kitchen All-in-One Farmhouse Apron Front Stainless Steel 30x20x20 in.
Home Depot
Concord Brushed Steel Vanity Light
$61.20 | Bellacor
Feiss Bathroom Lighting Claridge 3-Light Brushed Steel Vanity Light VS10503-BS
$86.00 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™