Yellowing branches (Pictures)

kidsmoke(z8 AZ)July 24, 2006

I'm not having any luck finding any information on Rhododendron branches turning yellow. These are Nova Zembla. Are they dying?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Have you applied aluminum sulfate recently to the shrub? Have you check the soil Ph Level? Nova Zembla can be very sensitive so I was wondering if some ammendment has been added recently to the soil. Luis

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 4:21PM
kidsmoke(z8 AZ)

I haven't applied anything to the soil. They were just planted in early June and unfortunately I wasn't here when the landscapers planted so I didn't see what ammendments they might have made to the soil. So the yellow branches are normal or not?

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 11:07PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Your plant looks perfectly healthy to me. Green, becoming yellow, later turning to brown, or mahoghany red, even an orange cast are not unusual stem colors. Be concerned if your leaves begin to turn yellow :)

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 1:04AM
kidsmoke(z8 AZ)

Thanks for the reassurance morz8. I was kind of thinking the same thing, that maybe the branches are just turning to brown. There is one other Rhododendron on my property that was already here, off on its own, and the branches are all brown and it flowered this year. I checked each plant last night and I see small buds on each one which is also reassuring I guess.

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 7:39AM
LanaKol

Hello! I had the same situation with my Rhododendron, but its bottom leaves become yellow too. Leaves pure, without spots. Generally it looks healthy (see photo).

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 2:47AM
LanaKol

This is how it looks inside...

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 2:51AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Yellowing, then dropping of oldest leaves is normal for rhododendrons, a natural part of the yearly growth cycle. Most evergreens will naturally drop their older needles or leaves (closest to the trunk) after a number of years, making the term "evergreen" plant misleading :) Leaf drop usually occurs in the summer or early fall when the leaves are approx three years old. This period of leaf drop occurs following the maturing of the current season's growth - it's nothing for you to be concerned about.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 10:20AM
LanaKol

Thank you so much! We have not enough information on cultivation of rhododendrons in our country! :)

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
Double flower buds
Hi, I have both Haaga and Helsinki rhododendrons. They...
dee_can1
brown azalea
I bought this year, at the beginning of summer a small...
curcubeu
Can anyone identify?
Hi these are two azaleas that we have had here since...
hello459
Please help me identify this azalea
When I purchase my house, it had a beautiful azalea...
mmp01
Do any Encore Azaleas attract hummers?
I may be having some azaleas replaced with dwarf, due...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™