What is the best preventative for spider mites?

reptailsNovember 6, 2007

It's time to move my aroids indoors for the winter. I have built an indoor greenhouse in my outbuilding and would like to know the best prevention for spider mites. I haven't noticed them yet, but sure they will come.

I've read several suggestions of misting with an alchohol and water mixture. Is this safe for aroids? I have also read that oil treatments are effective, but it sounds like a laborious task with 60-70 plants treating each leaf. I would like to stay away from harsh chemicals if at all possible.

I keep the room at 70-75 degrees. I will also put in a humidifier to keep the humidity up. What level should I maintain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bihai(zone 9)

Most insecticides that are not dedicated "miticides" only "control" spidermites, they don't eliminate them.

There is a miticide available to the home gardener, its called KELTHANE. It does work, I use it, BUT....it doesn't eradicate mites like you would think it should. They will pop back out if you aren't looking, usually somewhere else on some other plant than the one you treated.

I use a double-pronged technique in my greenhouse that seems to work well (and I have well over 75 plants, LOL, more like over 1500 plants).

I spray infestations with Kelthane, ONCE, when I first notice them, and I spray not just the infested plant, but everything within a 2 ft radius. This is for quick knockdown.

Then, a day or 2 later, I re-spray that same area and a little further out (maybe a 3-4 ft radius) with Neem Oil.

This works very well for me personally.

The only way to really eradicate mites, I have been told by others, is to invest in the predator mites, but that's more involved and expensive

Bookmark   November 6, 2007 at 8:04AM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Philodendron pedatum?
I just recently purchased a juvenile Philodendron pedatum. It...
summersunlight
A. Konjac - what should I expect
Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased...
espor
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
Philodendrons in poor shape
I have two philodendrons which I'm concerned about....
patchyjack
Anyone have seed-grown a.ongsakulii?
I would like to produce seed from my ongs, but strongly...
rredbbeard
Sponsored Products
Posh Orange PSH01 Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 7 Ft. Rug
$237.15 | Bellacor
Synthesis Giclee Glow Lamp Shade 13.5x13.5x10 (Spider)
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
Fire Magic Aurora A830s Cabinet Grill - A830S
Hayneedle
New HQ Rose Red Heriz Hand Knotted Wool 4x6 Serapi Free-Pad Floral Art Rug H5849
BH Sun Inc
Celie Single-Hole Kitchen Faucet with Swivel Spout
Signature Hardware
Deluna Chair - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture
Sabrina Rug 8' x 11' - PURPLE/BLACK
$638.90 | Horchow
Sari Pendant by Tech-Tiella Lighting
$96.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™