Is this rhodo stressed? Should I move it?

sfsuperstarJuly 6, 2007

Hi all, I planted this Nova Zembla about 2 months ago, and I recently noticed that the leaves are starting to curl a bit at the edges. I'm new to rhodos, so I'm wondering if it is stressed or if this is normal for Nova Zemblas. My Percy Wiseman's I planted at the same time don't look like that. But the NZ does have some new growth since planting.

If it is stressed, I don't think it's a water problem, other rhodos around it are fine. I think it might have to do with how I planted it. It's on a slope, and the downslope side of the rootball is not well-buried in the ground. I've got pictures below. I'm wondering if I should replant it a bit deeper, or if that would be more stressful than leaving it how it is. Any advice would be great, thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Looks OK. Don't plant it deeper! You never want to bury the crown.

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 2:58AM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Your plant looks OK. It is not unusual for young leaves to look somewhat distorted. It looks like it really bloomed its head off.

We have had a strange summer with some cool dry weather followed by the heat wave that is coming. During the heat wave, watch for wilting. If the leaves curl in the heat of the day and are OK in the morning, that is OK and does not indicate it needs water. If the leaves are curled or wilted in the morning, then it needs water.

This is important since too much water will lead to root rot and death.

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 10:28AM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

It looks fine. It's too close to the hardscaping. It's going to grow. Give it some room. Move it this Fall or Spring.

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 12:35PM
sfsuperstar

great, thanks for the advice! it's about 2 feet from the wall, i do wish i had planted it about a foot further out, but i don't think i'll move it for fear of killing it. thanks, now i won't worry about it so much!

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 3:55PM
sfsuperstar

oops, i meant 3 feet from the wall.

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 9:47PM
thane(z8 Bellevue, WA)

I'd say don't hesitate to move it in fall. As a novice gardener, I've moved several rhodies and it didn't even seem to bother them at all.

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 6:55PM
More Discussions
Largest Indica Azaleas?
I'm thinking of using azaleas as a "living fence"...
alabamatreehugger
Yaks for Richmond, VA?
I am considering two Rhodies for a small, shaded, urban...
jupitertree
Rhody leaves getting smaller every year
Hi! I have a rhododendron (I think it's a loreley)....
Hyakamooks
Please help me identify this azalea
When I purchase my house, it had a beautiful azalea...
mmp01
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™