Stems and trunks of Rhodis are yellow brown red..Why?

libraqueen81July 26, 2013

Just bought 6 Rhodi plants at a plant place. Leaves are green a few have a red spot or so on them but they seem lush. My issue is the actual trunk and lower stems which branch out from it are various yellow brown to red color. The bark seems a little split or peeling and I scraped a little away and it is white underneath. Is this maybe because they were watered too much before I bought them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Could be normal. Could be abnormal.
We need pictures to decide.
Please post.some.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 10:58PM
akamainegrower

A number of rhododendron species and frequently the hybrids derived from them have naturally peeling bark. Likewise, the color of the stems and branches before they are fully mature can vary a good deal. Photographs would be useful, but having the names of the varieties you purchased is equally important.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 6:00AM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

On rhododendrons, peeling bark is normally a highly prized attribute. For example the R. barbatum on the left and the R. maddenii on the right are well known for their peeling bark.

However, it can also be a sign of problems such as with Botryosphaeria dieback below on left and bark split on right.

Dieback is often caused by drought and only affects several branches. Bark split is caused by a warm spell in winter which causes the sap to rise, followed by a heavy frost the freezes the sap and splits the bark near the soil line.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
Can anyone identify?
Hi these are two azaleas that we have had here since...
hello459
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea Background: I...
Cliff Pruitt
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
Yaks for Richmond, VA?
I am considering two Rhodies for a small, shaded, urban...
jupitertree
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™