planting seeds

gigagysNovember 14, 2005

Hello Aroid lovers!

Last summer I bought seeds of Arum maculatum, Z.aethiopica and Arisaema consanguineum.

At what depth the seeds will devellope at their best?

No idea! In nature it looks like they just fall on the ground after being eaten by birds or other beasts.

Very interested in your reply.

Greetings, Gijs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keiko2(D/FW7b)

Hi Gijs,
Z. aethiopica is very easy from seed. If you have the whole berry, pop the seed kernel out and just cover with your growing medium. If you can keept them around 22-24C they should start germinating in 4-5 weeks, but make take 8 weeks for all to germinate. They will grow on well much cooler after germination.

The link below is for the best article I know of on Arisaema, I just don't agree with ever putting them in the refrigerator. If you have a cold basement or unheated closet that stays around 8C during the winter, I think that cool enough and a lot safer than the refrigerator.

A. maculatum is best sown outside as soon as ripe (June here) and germination starts sporadically in late October and November, then some more usually germinate in early spring. I have never known anyone to get packaged seeds that have been dry to germinate. These are more common in the U.K., maybe someone there can offer more help.

Enjoy,
Keiko

Here is a link that might be useful: Arisaema from seed

Bookmark   November 14, 2005 at 12:30PM
More Discussions
Alocasia seems healthy, but is not growing in size?
I have two Alocasias in pots in my living room. I have...
ednaricketts
Can an albino Amorphophallus titanum survive?
One of my a titanum seedlings is completely white,...
stevelau1911
New Amorphophallus seedlings for 2015
I just planted a batch of a titanum seedlings about...
stevelau1911
Got my new Philodendron 'joepii' today!
I was so excited to get my new philodendron 'joepii'...
MonsteraMan
Aglaonema rescue
I just got this off the discount rack at Loews. It...
Sans2014
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™