Worm castings

mnten(z7tn)July 18, 2007

I just ordered some worm castings. Is this stuff as good as they say it is? I thought I would put it around my azaleas and roses.

I would like to know if anyone has had any experiance with them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Rhododendrons and azaleas have shallow roots so don't cultivate the soil around them. The standard procedure is to mulch them to protect the shallow roots from heat, cold, drought, sun, and prevent weeds. Worm casings would be better as a soil amendment when planting. Peat humus would be better than worm casings since it is acidic. If you want to pull back the mulch and use this as a top dressing and then put the mulch back, you could do that. However, peat humus would still be a better top dressing.

Bookmark   July 18, 2007 at 5:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I bought a 10# bag a couple of years ago at our Farmer's Market (when I say 'our', I mean an hour from here) - and I remember it as being very expensive.

I used a little as top dressing here and there and some when amending soil for new plantings...the recommended amount for azaleas/rhododendrons as a top dressing was 1/2" if I remember right.

It was a good product, but I don't know if I could say for certain if it had the disease resisting properties the worm farmer promised. I did put some around roses, but you have to understand this cool damp climate isn't ideal for roses no matter what they are treated with :)

I have one bed where I'm not happy with the soil this summer and I plan to lift plants, amend and replant this Fall....I may buy some more of the castings as one of the amendments.

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 12:11AM
More Discussions
thoughts on permanent soil enhancement
This is more or less a followup to Mainegrower's questioning...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Adjust pH for Azaleas
I have two azaleas in separate planters and they both...
cakbu
Largest Indica Azaleas?
I'm thinking of using azaleas as a "living fence"...
alabamatreehugger
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
Advice on my Purple Gem
I have 2 purple gem rhododendrons that I planted over...
jada223
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™