Rhodies for N Az?

dwpc(8a - N Arizona)July 23, 2014

Much our property is shady pinon pine- juniper forest. It would look great to have some rhododendrons scattered around under the trees if they'd survive the summer heat.and low humidity on the drip system. Any candidate varieties? Foliage is as important as flowering and large size would be a plus.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akamainegrower

The Southgate series of rhododendrons was created to withstand the hot weather of the Southeast and is relatively new to the market, so may be worth taking a look at.

Unless, however, you have acidic soil, no rhododendron is going to grow well. The lack of atmospheric moisture will be another issue. All in all, it's pretty hard to imagine rhododendrons managing in a Southwestern climate.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 5:16AM
davidrt28 (zone 7)

They are going to need so much fussing with in your climate, you really have to ask yourself if its worth it. I suppose it's possible some mountaineous parts of Arizona have a thin layer of acid soil.
Here are some broad leaved evergreens it would make sense to try first:
Heteromeles:
http://cals-cf.calsnet.arizona.edu/arboretum/taxon.aspx?id=488
Arbutus arizonica or A. texensis
various Manzanitas
even Pittosporum tobira (I've seen them in old parks in Barcelona were I suspect they get no supp. water; but you would need to water them. However they are heat & dryness tolerant for something so lush looking)

If *I* were going to try one in zn 8 Arizona, I'd try a Rhododendron arboreum subspecies delavayi or zeylanicum from the RSF. Very heat resistant, and perhaps even more dry heat resistant than the Southgates, which were really bred for the constant high heat & humidity of the SE. These southern R. arboreum strains must endure a hot spell in early summer before the Asian monsoon starts.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 9:50PM
davidrt28 (zone 7)

As you can see, 'Noyo Chief' was voted a Rhododendron of the Year for the Southwest Chapter. (whose very existence is somewhat confounding; perhaps you should reach out to them to get more advice on your situation. You might even find out there's a nearby collector!)

R. arboretum 'Niligiricum' is either another southern Indian subspecies or is now synonymous with 'Zeylanicum'. At any rate, it should resist dry heat well. Of course, it will still need to be watered and have acid soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.rhododendron.org/roy08sw.htm

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
March Madness - Rhode Rejuvination
Cleaning up a new to me property that was previously...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
Yaks for Richmond, VA?
I am considering two Rhodies for a small, shaded, urban...
jupitertree
Tiny white specks on Rhododendron?
I have a 6 year old rhododendron (Virginia Richards)...
gardenbug
Trimming Encore Azaleas
They've gotten "leggy" so I want to cut them...
jewelisfabulous
Adjust pH for Azaleas
I have two azaleas in separate planters and they both...
cakbu
Sponsored Products
Steam Spa Indulgence Accessory Bundle for Steam Spa Steam Generator in Brushed N
Beyond Stores
Architectural Bronze Outdoor Post Mt 1-Light
PLFixtures
Zentro Mini Pendant by Lithonia Lighting
$83.34 | Lumens
AKDY 30-inch OSWRH703N-30-AG Wall Mount Stainless Steel Range Hood
Overstock.com
60" Venica Teak Double Vanity for Semi-Recessed Sinks
Signature Hardware
Afina Basix Recessed Medicine Cabinet - 16W x 4.5D x 22H in. - AFC141
$231.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for: