Storm broke off a branch, can I do something with it?

frank325July 20, 2008

We just had a bad storm tonight, and a branch broke off my plant. It is a big branch just off the main stem, with two smaller branches coming out it (a Y shape). Nothing is new growth that I'm aware of, it's all very woody. Is there anything I can do with this ? Or do I just toss it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frank325

It's my rhododendron fyi... I'm not sure how old it is, I've lived here 3+ years and it was here before I moved in.

Bookmark   July 20, 2008 at 9:57PM
lilc5

Hi everyone
I purchased a 2.5 gallon Rhododendrom from home depot. I got it in May and it flowered prefusely in late May/ early June. Once the flowered finished I did not prune. Was I suppose to? I have been watering and also fertilizing with Bud & Bloom once or twice a month. Today I noticed that buds are starting to develop again. Not sure if they will be ready before the cold weather of fall in Novemeber hits. Is it normal for this shrub to flower twice in the summer? When is the right time to prune and how much?
Thanks
Carolina

Bookmark   July 20, 2008 at 11:14PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Frank, July is a reasonable time to take rhododendron cuttings so your storms timing wasn't way off. Semi ripewood - they aren't a shrub where cuttings are completely easy and foolproof, but what have you got to lose :)

Be sure to cleanly cut anything that may have been left broken or jagged on your main plant with sharp pruners too so as not to leave an entry point for secondary insect or disease problems.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuttings for beginners

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 11:43AM
More Discussions
Rhody leaves getting smaller every year
Hi! I have a rhododendron (I think it's a loreley)....
Hyakamooks
thoughts on permanent soil enhancement
This is more or less a followup to Mainegrower's questioning...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Azaleas dying
Hello. We are having a problem with some newly planted...
westminstress
rescuing older, non-blooming azaleas
When we moved into our (very overgrown) house last...
pollyfan
Rhododendron & Azalea Disease & Pest Book
There is an up-to-date book that just came out that...
rhodyman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™