My Little Sauromatum Venosum (aka Typhonium)

susanlynne48(OKC7a)November 14, 2005

Several weeks ago - more like a couple of months, I posted that one of the little bulbs of this plant had sprouted a leaf outdoors. There were 3 or 4 of them in a little 4" pot, covered with sphaghnum moss. I wasn't expecting that!

I went ahead and planted all of them, including the one with the sprouted leaf. I was looking at my garden yesterday, and that little leaf is still there, gotten a tad bigger, but shows no sign of going dormant at all.

Isn't this a little bit odd?

Susan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
balberth(Z9 CA, USA)

Not that odd - I'd guess you've not had a hard freeze there yet?

The poor little guys thought it was spring for some reason and started growing. Now that it's cold out, they're confused. They want to grow, but it's not warm enough - they'll try to tough it out, but the leaf will eventually freeze or rot.

This is a problem that a lot of Amorphophallus have in my area growing outside - it doesn't get cold enough fast enough to shock them into dormancy, so they attempt to soldier on through the mild winters and eventually succumb to rot. I've found that for some species, I need to withold water to force them into dormancy about this time of the year.

I've noticed that most years I get a few Typhonium venosum tubers, mostly small ones, that try this sprouting in autumn trick. I _think_ they usually end up going dormant and surviving when it gets cold enough. T. venosum is a really tough cookie.

--Albert

Here is a link that might be useful: Albert's Greenhouse

Bookmark   November 15, 2005 at 12:26AM
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

I agree with Albert..not that unusual. I'll bet if you dig the little guy up you will find he is not that little anymore. These guys grow very fast and if it had 2 months then it will have turned into a little beefcake. I think this is more typical of Amorphs in my experience...they decide around Sept 1 that it is the perfect time to grow and then you are stuck with the decision do I let them grow and put them under a grow light inside or do I just not water and force them to stay dormant. My T. venosum all got annoyed with the weather here a few weeks ago and went down. Best of luck :o) Dan

Bookmark   November 15, 2005 at 6:44AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

Thanks, guys! Tonight will be our first hard freeze. Supposed to get down to 28*, so it will probably get the idea. Although the ground won't be frozen yet. Some years in Oklahoma, it never does freeze, like last year.

Susan

Bookmark   November 15, 2005 at 8:34PM
More Discussions
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
Anyone growing Philodendron pedatum?
I just recently purchased a juvenile Philodendron pedatum. It...
summersunlight
Need identification and care instructions
This plant came up out of nowhere in 2005 and comes...
tlynn10
Need help
Bought a 9 inch dia. A. titanum bulb/cormer few years...
bgp_123
Is it going to flower???
Hello; is anyone out there to let me know if this Amorphophallus...
rina_
Sponsored Products
Home Styles Dining Sets Stone Harbor 51 in. Round 5-Piece Slate Tile Top Patio
Home Depot
Crane HS-1932 Demineralization Filter Cartridge - HS-1932
$15.00 | Hayneedle
Lush Decor Twinkle White Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
Jonathan Adler Crystal Teardrop Table Lamp with Oyster Shade
Lamps Plus
Windsor 36-inch Shelf Kit with Mahogany Finish
Overstock.com