Can someone please interpret this for me?

gardenbug(8b)July 13, 2012

I am looking at the American Rhododendron Society website and I'm finding it pretty good but I need a little help to understand the following:

Search by Bloom Time

Very Early

Early

Early Mid season

Mid season

Late Mid season

Late

Very Late

This doesn't really explain when to a beginner like me. Can someone maybe tell me what months these would coincide with? I have Jean Montague Rhody and it blooms usually about the second week in May. So, would that be considered very early, early, or something else? I would really like to understand this. Thanks everyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant List

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akamainegrower

Jean Marie de Montague is listed as a midseason bloomer by the American Rhododendron Society. So, in your case mid season would be around the second week of May in a typical year if Jean Marie consistently blooms at this time.

The seasonal bloom designations are, however, relative and will vary considerably from year to year and, of course, from area to area. The way you're doing it - using a particular variety as a marker plant - is the best way to get a reasonably accurate indication of when other varieties will bloom.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 5:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenbug(8b)

Yes, that's exactly what I was trying to do. Using Jean Montague as a marker. I guess it would be difficult for the ARS to put in exact months because like you say it would be depend on location. That helps to know. Thanks.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
Azaleas dying
Hello. We are having a problem with some newly planted...
westminstress
How much sun can this Rhododendron tolerate
It is a Nova Zembla. It will be planted in my back...
420benz
Rhododendron & Azalea Disease & Pest Book
There is an up-to-date book that just came out that...
rhodyman
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™