What is Killing Native Rosebay Rhododendrons?

mikeybobAugust 8, 2012

About five years ago I noticed a spot on my property where a group of several large rhododendrons had died, and ever since I'm noticing that more and more rhododendrons are dying. They used to be so beautiful on the banks of the creek but now they are mostly dead. I live near the Blue Ridge Parkway and I see so many dead ones by the Parkway that it is becoming an eyesore. I've asked a few people and nobody seems to know what's killing them. Does anyone here know what is killing the native rosebay rhododendrons in SW Virginia?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

I was down on the Blue Ridge Parkway this spring when many of the rhododendrons and azaleas were in bloom. I didn't see any R. maximum blooming since it blooms much later than than when I was there.

Your native rosebay rhododendron is Rhododendron maximum. It is occasionally severely damaged from deer browse. It needs a moist location with good drainage. We have had some serious droughts in the last couple years and had extremely hot weather this past winter which is very unusual. It is sensitive to many problems:

soil compaction - intolerant
pollution - intolerant
deicing salts - very intolerant
urban heat islands - intolerant
drought - intolerant
seasonal flooding - tolerant

In addition, it gets stem canker, bud and twig blights, crown rot, root rot, azalea stem borer, azalea leaf miner, and suffers severely from winter desiccation. In times of increased stress, disease problems are much worse. For example, drought causes more stem cankers. If your winter was dry and hot, that would have been a huge stress.

Another problem is that invasive exotic plants increase competition and make the above problems worse. I don't know for sure what you are seeing, but it is probably a combination of a couple of the above problems.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
Double flower buds
Hi, I have both Haaga and Helsinki rhododendrons. They...
dee_can1
thoughts on permanent soil enhancement
This is more or less a followup to Mainegrower's questioning...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™