Strangely ROLLED Rhodie leaves

janzerAugust 3, 2007

I have raised rhodies for several decades and I have yet to see this.

I have a 2 year old rhodie planted in part sun/part shade. This year it bloomed and has looked just great. Then suddenly I noticed that the upper level of leaves have begun to ROLL inward, like the shape of a HARD taco shell. They are not pinched together like gall midge, have no spots, no insect damage, and have not fallen off. They are not reacting to sun, draught or water. They just stay partially rolled. In fact, new leaves are emerging and look fine.

Any ideas what might be going on with my new shrub?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Leaf roll and droop is normal when rhododendrons are exposed to extreme heat, extreme cold, or drought. It is a natural reaction that helps prevent desiccation under these conditions of extreme stress. The roll and droop should go away when the extreme condition is absent.

But, the same condition can also be caused by root fungi which thrive in warm moist conditions.

Bookmark   August 3, 2007 at 10:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janzer

No, these leaves have been doing this regardless of heat, or draught or whatever the amount of water. I will explore the root fungus idea.

These leaves roll differently than they do when affected by heat or draught. As I said, they roll into a shape that imitates a HARD TACO SHELL.

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 2:13AM
More Discussions
Adjust pH for Azaleas
I have two azaleas in separate planters and they both...
cakbu
Double flower buds
Hi, I have both Haaga and Helsinki rhododendrons. They...
dee_can1
Largest Indica Azaleas?
I'm thinking of using azaleas as a "living fence"...
alabamatreehugger
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
Good site to order blue?
Hi, I am looking for a west coast nursery that sells...
kjmm1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™