what's your favorite calla / zantedeschia?

quakey(z8/sunset4)December 1, 2005

Hi, all. I am a fan of calla lilies, and have been growing them for about two years now, with mixed results. The common Z. aethiopica does well of course, but some of the smaller colored ones (especially blacks I've tried such as Black Forest and Midnight Eclipse) seem less than vigorous. (I swear the tubers got smaller rather than larger.) Millenium Gold on the other hand doubled or tripled the number of flowering size tubers over the course of a single year!

So, I'm curious: what's your favorite type? What have you had particular luck with?

Thanks for any input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
honeybunny442(z6 TN)

My favorites are Neroli, which I guess you would call an apricot color; and Purple Haze, which is purple with yellow edges. I had a lot of Midnight Eclipse in 2004 and they were a fantastic mottled purple or purple with grey/silver, but they got a rot towards the end of the year and didn't survive well. I had a hard time finding them in 2005 and they didn't do anything this year either so I'm giving up on that variety.
Susan

Bookmark   December 2, 2005 at 1:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quakey(z8/sunset4)

Thanks! I'll try Purple Haze (if I can find it) as that sounds like an interesting color combo.

Bookmark   December 2, 2005 at 1:19PM
More Discussions
Alocasia & Colocasia help pls. - new @ this forum
Hello all, I have mostly succulents...do not have experience...
rina_
Zantedeschia aethiopica won't grow
Hi everyone! My very first post so excuse me for any...
Arico
Can an albino Amorphophallus titanum survive?
One of my a titanum seedlings is completely white,...
stevelau1911
Aglaonema rescue
I just got this off the discount rack at Loews. It...
Sans2014
Trade S. Venosum / Z. Zamiifolia For ???
Email Me At gaffenstein@gmail.com If interested in...
dethcheez
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™