transplanting azaleas

thedens(z7 GA)August 3, 2005

I have some azaleas in my front yard that I would like to move to the back. When is the best time of year to do this, and are there any special instructions to follow? Don't assume I know anything, I'm new to the whole gardening thing. ;-)

Denna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

You can relocate azaleas any time of year when they are not in active growth (the period immediately following bloom) or the ground is not frozen. But if this isn't an emergency, I'd wait until the weather is cooler and you are a little closer to Fall rains...moving them now is going to require extra attention to watering, possibly even daily.

The plants shallow rootball will extend out as far as the branches reach, but if weight is a consideration you can take a smaller rootball safely. Aim for a rootball with a diameter equal to two-thirds the plants height. Drag on cardboard or a tarp to the new site if they are larger than wheel barrow size. Unless quite small, don't lift by the main stem, weight of soil and root ball could be damaging to roots.

Don't plant any deeper than it was originally growing, allow for settling if moving to a newly worked bed. Water well, keep moist, mulch.

Bookmark   August 3, 2005 at 10:32AM
thedens(z7 GA)

Thanks for the advice. :-) It's not an emergency, so I'll let it wait till September. The bushes are still small, they came with the new house and the builder planted them in the spring, I think. They're in full sun and definately not happy there (they tend to wilt, even with watering, and two have died), so since I wanted to redo that bed anyway, I figured I'd put them in my future shade garden, where they'd look nicer and might do better.

Bookmark   August 3, 2005 at 10:56AM
esh_ga

If you are in Georgia, I'd wait until the second half of October or even November.

Bookmark   August 4, 2005 at 10:00AM
More Discussions
Attractive grouping of companion plants for deciduous azalea
Hello! I've lived in my house a year and now I'm planning...
Kristin
Tiny white specks on Rhododendron?
I have a 6 year old rhododendron (Virginia Richards)...
gardenbug
Trimming Encore Azaleas
They've gotten "leggy" so I want to cut them...
jewelisfabulous
what to do to thicken native azalea canopy
My Florida Flame is lovely in bloom, healthy, with...
vossner
Azalea Sunny Side Up
Anyone know of a mail order nursery that carries Aromi...
shorebill
Sponsored Products
Children's Garden Tool Set
$14.99 | zulily
Gardman Walk-In 4 x 6 ft. Greenhouse with Shelving - 7622
$74.99 | Hayneedle
Farmers Garden Kit
$14.99 | zulily
Gardman 4-Tier Mini Greenhouse - R687
$39.51 | Hayneedle
SoHo Sign Art Print
$29.99 | Dot & Bo