Is this an amorphophallus?

bihai(zone 9)December 6, 2006

I got this as a trade today. It was about 3 ft tall. Unfortunately the plant was banged up in shipping and separated from the bulb, but it looks like an amorpho to me, but not one I can put my finger on. The bulbs are about the size of a fist. The trunk is appropriately mottled as shown. The leaves met in the center and had 3 main branches from the crown before continuing to branch.

Any help with ID appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aroideana(Tropical Australia)

OH NO , you now have the dreaded weed Gonatopus boivinii , or Kneebone plant . Every little bit of foliage that breaks off will form another bulb , nearly impossible to get rid of .

Bookmark   December 6, 2006 at 3:18PM
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

Not a problem up north here....can you say rot....I took the advice of a southern gardener and planted it in good ol' dirt (lots of peat).....rotted in no time....a great exmple of why you need to be careful of the climate zone you obtain cultural advice from :o) Dan

Bookmark   December 6, 2006 at 5:27PM
bihai(zone 9)

Uh oh I had better research this one, don't want an invasive...thanks, aroideana!

Bookmark   December 6, 2006 at 5:36PM
bihai(zone 9)

probably not a problem with invasiveness here, its tropical. Bulbs need to be lifted and kept at 40.

Bookmark   December 6, 2006 at 5:40PM
aroideana(Tropical Australia)

Ask Dewey Fisk about it . Actually a very attractive plant , and I have planted out massive rows of all the feral plants I collected while repotting . They are then harvested for the fantastic foliage of the stems . Florists love them , they last for months , saw a trendy magazine had a feature house and the interior decorator had bought several bunches of the stems , looked amazing in a vase with the bent stems leaning out .
Grow in very well drained media , and they look best in shade, that way the foliage is nice and flat like Amorphos , in bright light its all bunched up .

Bookmark   December 7, 2006 at 8:05AM
razorback33(z7)

Is it more invasive than Amorph. konjac (a/k/a rivieri)?
I can't get rid of those. Even after 10 years, still have young one's popping up in the area where it was once planted. Obviously didn't get all of the long rhizomes and young tubers when I pulled it out.
Rb

Bookmark   December 7, 2006 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
Helicodiceros muscivorus won't sleep
In oktober 2013 I bought on E-bay a Dead Horse Arum...
gigagys
A. Konjac - what should I expect
Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased...
espor
Anyone have seed-grown a.ongsakulii?
I would like to produce seed from my ongs, but strongly...
rredbbeard
Zantedeschia aethiopica won't grow
Hi everyone! My very first post so excuse me for any...
Arico
Alocasia Colocasia
Can any one ID this for me its supposed to be alocasia...
Oztony1963
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™