Noticed when base built up at roots buried to deep

cadillactasteAugust 11, 2014

I corrected the problem...think it stands a chance at coming back...it also had black spot...and the leaves that had been effected from that.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cadillactaste

Close up...

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 3:49PM
cadillactaste

We had some erosion at the roots. My husband built up a planter out of rocks and filled dirt way to high up. I hope we don't lose it. Know nothing much on these shrubs.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 3:51PM
akamainegrower

No idea what the original problem was or when the photos were taken, but the photos show a rhodoendron exhibiting classic symptoms of a dry root ball. This usually results from not untangling/cutting/distressing the roots before planting. The root ball dries out, resists rewetting, and the leaves curl in response. Check for dry roots. Dig up, distress, soak for 30 minutes or so, then replant if they are dry.

It is a good idea to plant with the top of the root ball slightly above the soil. In a new, deep planting area you'll have to watch for subsidence - this can put the rhododendron too deep once again.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 5:10AM
cadillactaste

The rhodie has been in that spot for 4 years. Some erosion washed away some of the soil at the root base. (Wild life knocked down rocks we had building up that part of the hillside) But you could see some roots have grown down into the soil away from the original ball. So maybe the leaves are from that the stress of being uncovered from erosion...then, my dearest put soil way to high on the shrub. (Covered some of the branch even near the trunk base) along with some black spot our area is facing...

So a number of things...I guess time will tell. No way to dig it up and disturb it's roots that have settled into the area around it since not a new plant in the landscape. We've had some major rain since we covered the roots back up that were exposed. So hopefully it will help.

Does any feel I should start watering it again? Deep watering since it's been established for a few years now.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 9:54AM
More Discussions
Trimming Encore Azaleas
They've gotten "leggy" so I want to cut them...
jewelisfabulous
Azalea Sunny Side Up
Anyone know of a mail order nursery that carries Aromi...
shorebill
jujujojo_gw
what to do to thicken native azalea canopy
My Florida Flame is lovely in bloom, healthy, with...
vossner
Mid-Atlantic: What are the most evergreen azaleas?
Unfortunately most of my azaleas are not named. But...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Sponsored Products
Haeger Potteries Sage Ceramic Tear Drop Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
New Elegant Hand Knotted Heriz Serapi 9x12 Rust Red/Blue Oriental Wool Rug H3613
BH Sun Inc
Pedestal Satin Nickel Towel Rack
Overstock.com
Fruit and Berry Christmas Wreath - 22" dia. Christmas Decor
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Blue Frame Disposable Place Mat - Set of 24
$7.99 | zulily
Couristan Super Indo-Natural Impressions Stripe White Area Rug - 2150/9000-3.6X5
$179.00 | Hayneedle
Franklin Leather Corner Sectional (2 piece) - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
Multi Stripe Table Runner by Chilewich
$40.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™