ok to plant in august

janey1lee(6)August 3, 2009

I have a spot in my garden that is partial shade. I would like to plant a couple of azaleas and rhododendron. Normally, they are sold in my area (NY metro) in the Spring. I did see one garden center that still has them. Can they be planted in august?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

They are mostly sold in spring because that is when they are in bloom and bring higher prices and more customers. Actually fall is the best time to plant. The catch is that they have to still be healthy when you plant them. Some garden centers, like those in big box stores where the help aren't especially good plant experts, may have trouble keeping them alive through the summer. If they are still healthy in the fall, then that is the best time to plant. The only caveat is that you must mulch them well so that frost heave doesn't toss them right out of the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 6:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I think that planting container-grown azaleas at this time of year is fine, with a little bit of extra care (watering). Quite honestly, they would probably be far better off being planted than having to endure the rest of the summer at a nursery.

By planting them now, you'd have less frost heaving as the plants will have had some time to establish some roots into the surrounding soil system. I'd suggest that you do not fertilize at planting time, in case you were thinking about it.

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Trimming Encore Azaleas
They've gotten "leggy" so I want to cut them...
jewelisfabulous
How can I revive my dying azalea? Please help
So I'm really horrible at keeping plants alive, but...
kateyyy
why do my azaleas look like this?
Zone 6. Moved into this house 4 yrs age and the azaleas...
zeak8892
March Madness - Rhode Rejuvination
Cleaning up a new to me property that was previously...
cottage_cheese_z6ny
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™