best method to root zz plant

grabmebymyhandle(6 Kentucky)December 13, 2012

I know I know, they are like the easiest aroid on the block but I have a bad track record with them, I found a wonderful sport at lowes, its very small, with more narrow leaflets, its very nice.

It was all but dead, I talked them into letting me have it, all im left with is 2 "fronds", they are yellowing a bit, I haqve them in dry gritty mix, with a dome sitting on top loosely...

any advice on how to get them to root, I know its a slow process, ive rooted leaves and grow to decent sized plants, these just arent the best cutting material, or the right time of year...id really like to save them...any tip at all would be just fine...

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Well if you've got two why not experiment? You could try one in water & in mix. I've done it both ways & didn't use a dome when doing it in dry mix (tho' that CAN take as long as a year). The one done in water, grew a small sized green tuber resembling a green pea & then grew a root as well.

The fact of their being a bit yellowed may not help, but oh well; nothing you can do abt that.

FYI: may not be that bad a time to try this, I noticed over the holiday one of my 2 ZZs is pushing out a new sprout. So maybe you CAN make this happen. Good luck.

Bookmark   December 26, 2012 at 12:18PM
Leafhead

I've done leaflet cuttings and 1 1/2 years later I have 1 lonely frond c 4 leaflets 2 " high...
Very slow going...

Bookmark   February 18, 2013 at 12:26PM
grabmebymyhandle(6 Kentucky)

i scored a whole plant! good thing as the cutting dont look much better, ill try to do some pics some and highlight the differences between this and other zz's I have

I like this one the best...If only there was one with stems 10 feet tall...

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 5:18AM
Leafhead

Terrific!! I look forward to pix...

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 8:59AM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Philodendron pedatum?
I just recently purchased a juvenile Philodendron pedatum. It...
summersunlight
Strategies for restoring variegation to M. del. albovariegata?
I hope the subject line wasn't too confusing. I had...
mark4321_gw
Alocasia & Colocasia help pls. - new @ this forum
Hello all, I have mostly succulents...do not have experience...
rina_
Trade S. Venosum / Z. Zamiifolia For ???
Email Me At gaffenstein@gmail.com If interested in...
dethcheez
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™