AZALEA official name needed

rhody92August 16, 2010

I purchased a Plant 35 years ago called sweetheart. It has double pink blooms and generally blooms when most of my other azaleas are finishing their blooms. Is it A lost cause or does anyone have any ideas. I don't like to propagate plants that I don't have the legal name for. Thank's

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

I can only find three azaleas named Sweetheart. The newest one is 'Autumn Sweetheart', a patented Encore Azalea. It isn't double and is a re-bloomer.

The older ones are Pericat Hybrids.

One named 'Sweetheart Supreme' fits your description. It is semi-double, hose-in-hose, blush-pink, frilled, with a deeper blotch. Blooms late-midseason, medium height, dense, hardy to zone 8a, root-rot resistant. It was named by Robert Craig and Company.

The other Pericat Hybrid is 'Sweetheart', but it is a strong red named by Perkins-de Wilde and blooms early-midseason.

The Pericat Hybrids were developed by Alphonse Pericat, a florist in Collingdale, Pennsylvania. His plants are probably Belgian Indian Hybrids crossed with Kurume Hybrids. He introduced them in 1931 at the Philadelphia Flower Show. He distributed a lot of unnamed seedlings that were named by other nurserymen.

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 10:20AM
More Discussions
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
thoughts on permanent soil enhancement
This is more or less a followup to Mainegrower's questioning...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Rhododendron & Azalea Disease & Pest Book
There is an up-to-date book that just came out that...
rhodyman
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
Advice on my Purple Gem
I have 2 purple gem rhododendrons that I planted over...
jada223
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™