Can these azaleas be saved?

a2zmom(6a - nj)August 5, 2012

The house I bought has 2 azeleas in a slighly raised bed on the side of the house. I think they are fairly standard varieties, one pink and one white. Unfortunately, the bed is 10 feet from a Japanese maple.

At the epresent time, there are numerous maple saplings in the bed, including one that's 6-7 feet high. In addition, there is some other weed tree in there that is also around 7 feet high. There is also poison ivy in there which makes everything even more difficult.

I can hire someone to pull the poison ivy, but how can I get rid of the trees in there. Or should I just kill everything with round up and start from scratch?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Pulling poison ivy doesn't accomplish much since it spreads by root runners that create new plants and new roots. It starts from seed. You should look around and see if there is a poison ivy plant running up a nearby tree and spreading seed around the area. if so, cut the stem at the base to kill what is blooming in the tree. If not, it is the birds eating the berries on a nearby plant and spreading the seed.

I would use roundup on the poison ivy, the original Glyphosate only kind, not the newer ones with strong herbicides added. You can cut unwanted trees off and paint the stump with pure undiluted roundup.

Roundup must always be used when there is no wind and with a somewhat course spray that won't drift. Low pressure creates the best spray. If necessary roundup can be applied with a cotton glove worn over a rubber glove. Then the cotton glove is moistened with roundup and wiped onto the poison ivy foliage.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 8:44AM
a2zmom(6a - nj)

Thanks so much for this info.

When you say to paint the stump with undiluted Round-up, do you mean the concentrate? I'll use the same method to kill off some saplings that are in the pachysandra that surrounds my birch trees.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 11:10PM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Yes, the concentrate.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 11:35AM
More Discussions
Canon's Double - wilting! Help!
I planted 2 Canon's Double Azaleas about 6 weeks ago....
Carol.123
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
Can anyone identify?
Hi these are two azaleas that we have had here since...
hello459
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™