new arrivals

adamharbeck(WA Aust)July 24, 2014

I just got my bare-root rose order in the mail. Pretty happy with the condition of the plants, but a bit disappointed that they had sold out of Cramoisi Superieur. C'est la vie.....

Finished potting them up this morning after letting them soak overnight. Just in time for the wet weekend.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

What did you get? What root stock is that?

Inquiring minds want to know

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 10:26PM
adamharbeck(WA Aust)

Sorry, I should have said.

They are Tipsy Imperial Concubine, Archiduc Joseph, Hermosa and Comtesse du Cayla, all on multiflora.

Don't know how multiflora does on our beach sand, so playing it safe in pots. I also buried their necks in hopes that they send out some of their own roots.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 10:58PM
muscovyduckling

Nice selection Adam :) Is there some reason that you didn't get them on Fortuniana, or is it just that you can't get those roses from a WA supplier? I was hoping to order some roses to be sent to my sister in Perth for her birthday, but I couldn't find anywhere that will post out bare-roots on Fort. Do you know of anywhere? If I can't find anything I might just do a day-trip up to Melvilles when I'm over there next.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 6:25AM
patricianat

My question as well about the Fortuniana. I am not sure that it makes any difference but the same type nematodes may or may not be an issue in Adam's area.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 12:26PM
view1ny NY 6-7

Can someone please explain this to me - isn't bare root season in early spring? I thought that in my zone 7a the end of April/beginning of May was the optimum time to plant bare-roots.

Later on in the season, I thought all the nurseries would pot up the bare-roots & sell them as potted plants. Do the nurseries cut off the top growth of blooming plants & ship bare-roots in July to save on shipping? TIA

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 4:11PM
mohavemaria

Australia is in the Southern Hemisphere so this would be late winter for him. A great time to plant bare roots where it gets hot in the summer and with mild winters. Love the rose he picked out.

Maria

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 4:22PM
patricianat

view1ny, I should have said on Adam's continent and then you would have thought about it. I, too, had to do a double-take and realized when I saw WA and then I saw AUST. LOL. We all do these similar quick looks and I, more than most, have opened my mouth and inserted a foot. You did not, you merely asked a question.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 4:28PM
Glenburn(z8/z9 Mudgee, NSW Aust)

Hi all, yes Adam is in Western Australia and I am in New South Wales, both states of Australia and as Maria points out we are in the Southern Hemisphere and in the middle of our Winter, our bareroot season. It is quite easy to have mistake environs as this is a global forum, I do it often. Adam might post some photos when they come into flower. Yes he has chosen well with old garden varieties. Regards David.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 5:11PM
adamharbeck(WA Aust)

Hi Muscovy.
yes, fortuneiana would have been preferable but I couldn't find these chinas listed locally. I figured I would try them anyway and eventually try to root some cuttings. If your sister wants antique roses, Swiss Rose Farm off Armadale Road has a better range. Check thier website.

Patricia,
Nematodes are a big problem for a lot of plants here, maybe that's part of why everyone prefers fortuneiana. Also the soils are very sandy and alkaline near the coast.

june/july is the time to plant anything here really. Its cool and wet so they get a bit of a head start before summer kicks in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swiss

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 5:28PM
patricianat

Adam, if memory serves correctly and it may not (I am getting too old for memory) but it seems as though someone much smarter than I, perhaps Malcolm Manners, Dr. Friez or James Mills once told me that Chinas can survive in the Florida soil without the necessity of Fortuniana grafting. I wish one of the real experts would drop by and answer this for us. You might not need the graft. Congratulations, however, on the roses. You have some goodies. Plant some pansies and enjoy them in the beautiful winter sun.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 6:19PM
muscovyduckling

Thanks Adam, I will check it out :) Good luck with your roses! Hope to see some pics when they flower as David suggested!

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 8:03PM
view1ny NY 6-7

Oops. I totally missed noticing Adam's location. Thanks for the explanation.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 11:44PM
adamharbeck(WA Aust)

Coming along nicely!

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 2:04AM
floridarosez9

I'm not an expert like Dr. Manners, but all of my Chinas are own-root here in Fl. and have had no problems with nematodes.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 3:01PM
adamharbeck(WA Aust)

Chinas are uncommon here, which I think it's odd. But I am getting into cuttings so will definitely try some bare root.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 8:01PM
adamharbeck(WA Aust)

The Comtesse.

Bookmark   October 3, 2014 at 4:59AM
adamharbeck(WA Aust)

Archiduc Charles

Bookmark   October 3, 2014 at 5:00AM
muscovyduckling

Oh sweet lord. The Archiduc is rather handsome, isn't he?

Bookmark   October 3, 2014 at 6:19AM
adamharbeck(WA Aust)

Hermosa put out buds before she put out leaves. I pinched them off untill she built up some foliage. What a machine!

Bookmark   October 4, 2014 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
Queen of Sweden song
With apologies to Cab Calloway -- "I had a dream...
Sylvia Weiser Wendel
Poorbutroserich update
Hi. It's me, Susan, just checking in. Due to forum...
roserich
Opinion on planting group of 3 different Austins in triangle
I'd like to plant something interesting as a focal...
view1ny NY 6-7
I'm back!
Couldn't get confirmed onto this new system so created...
cemeteryroseanita
Can I have an antique rose hedge in zone 10?
Hi all! I recently moved into a house in coastal SoCal...
glitzalicious
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™