Thornless suckering rose?

slumgullion(8a)August 6, 2014

Hi all

I have a hillside that needs stabilization - the perfect place for some suckering roses. The problem is that there is also a path going down the hill, and I don't want to be fighting thorns or getting poked in the eye while walking.

Does anyone have suggestions for roses that are thornless and also spread by suckering?

Thanks!
SG

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AquaEyes 7a New Jersey

Perhaps 'R. blanda' or 'R. foliolosa'? Maybe a thornless 'R. wichuraiana' where you want something that hugs the ground?

:-)

~Christopher

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 2:39PM
mariannese

I don't know if it's available to you but the dog rose variety Rosa canina inermis (meaning unarmed, i.e. thornless) is one of the most common understocks in Northern Europe and it certainly suckers. It blooms only once with pale pink flowers.

The only other thornless roses I grow are the climber Lykkefund and the alba Chloris but I don't know if they would sucker on their own roots. I think Lykkefund would make a nice low carpet without support.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 2:39PM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

Chloris suckers. However, it also blackspots if that is a problem.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 2:46PM
slumgullion(8a)

Wow, thanks everyone for the excellent suggestions!

Luckily I have lots of room so I can choose more than one.

Chloris is amazingly beautiful so I will definitely include her. I think I read somewhere that she suckers "alarmingly" so that should be perfect.

R. blanda and foliolosa are also great ideas - and I see R. blanda is endangered in at least part of its range, so I'll get that one ASAP.

R. canina I think is invasive around here...have to look into that, may want to avoid it.

Lykkefund - WOW! That one's gorgeous! At 20' it is bigger than I want for the current purpose, but I will put it on my list for the future!

Thanks again to all of you, I really appreciate the pointers!

Best,
SG

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 5:53PM
muscovyduckling(Melbourne, Australia)

Apparently Charles de Mills has few thorns (still has some though), and from what I've read about him, he's the king of suckering! Cardinal de Richelieu and Nestor has even less thorns (from what I've read) and some of the other Gallicas are low on thorns too. I have a similar slope that I'd like to try some Gallicas on. I'm also putting in some rugosas and hoping they will sucker... Those are definitely NOT thornless though, hah.

This post was edited by muscovyduckling on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 7:02

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 6:57AM
slumgullion(8a)

Thanks for the additional suggestions! I will check them out.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
about the David Austin bagged root roses out there now
Over on the rose forum there was a report of Austin...
stillanntn6b
Duchesse de Brabant: Evaluation and Photos
Accidentally put this on the "Roses Forum"...
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
Are There Any Roses You Regret Buying?
I've already discarded many dozens so I'd better not...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Would you share your garden with a stranger?
A woman on another forum whose house has a separate...
mariannese
Peach Silk
Seem to recall a thread about Peach Silk recently....
alameda/zone 8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™