"Secret Garden Musk Climber"

jerijen(Zone 10)August 8, 2012

It's got hotter than the hinges here -- for once, all the way to the beaches. Roses that were in full bloom turned to plants covered with potpourri and many will now shut down.

But "Secret Garden Musk Climber" keeps pumping out blooms that scent the whole area. Gotta love it, no matter what it REALLY is . . .

Jeri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosefolly

My true musk has shut down. Yes, it is hot, up in the 90's later today.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 4:36PM
floridarosez9

Mine has a few scattered blooms still despite the heat. I moved it to half day shade after it started growing backward in the blazing all day full sun it was in. It didn't much appreciate the move. Now, it's trying to throw itself up into a small Lorapetalum tree.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 5:58PM
roseseek

My experience with Secret Garden is, like Purezza, the hotter and sunnier it is, the more it grows and flowers. As long as both receive sufficient water, they pump out the canes and blooms! Too bad they won't agree to be bred together. I've tried repeatedly, no dice. Kim

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 6:36PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

SGMC still gives me a lot more bloom than Purezza, tho I value both. The fragrance gives SGMC the edge.

When the heat hit, so many roses fried right away, it's wonderful that SGMC is still pumping them out.

Jeri

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 6:49PM
catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14

Not even so much as a brown edge -- thank you, Jeri, for a photo that makes one feel cooler just looking at it! The gallon-size SGMC I planted 6 months ago is already at least 3' x 3', has new basals shooting out all over, and blooms like crazy. There's a rose that doesn't just sit around! Bees love it. ~Debbie

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 7:02PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Thanks Debbie. :-)

Here, SGMC forms the "front wall" of a shaded area, a job it fills uncomplainingly. When I walk into that area, sometimes stray sprays brush my face or shoulders. And yes -- it's not the right rose for someone with a bee allergy.

Jeri

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 8:48PM
rathersmallbunny(9)

Wow, that looks so beautiful and healthy! It's great to hear about a rose that does well in the heat. My David Austins have blooms that are shrivelled like popcorn.

Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 12:42AM
barbarag_happy

After 4 years mine just isn't doing much; perhaps the ground-eating Sea Foam is too much competition. Now we are having this wonderful WET year perhaps SGMC will get going.
If I could get to it I might try moving it but it is guarded by Basye's Purple and Sea Foam. No way to get to it now!

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 10:37AM
seil zone 6b MI

Gotta love a rose that can take the heat! Pretty one too!

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 4:29PM
More Discussions
OT: dog and badger? (Suzy?)
For the second time in a month, our dog has returned...
Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
Lady Ashe
Anyone have any information on this Peter Beales climber....
patricianat
Potted Rose - Rose Storage Question
Hello, We are the process of a temporary and then permanent...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
New name: MelissaaiPapa
Well, I have now made the acquaintance of Houzz, and...
Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
In Your Garden, Choose Plants That Help the Environment
Saw this posted on one of my gardening pages on Facebook...
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™