I would never of thought a cat would like this?!

alana8ascAugust 12, 2012

I bought some alfalfa pellets for the first time the other day to try because I see all the posts sayin how great they are for the roses, and the were really cheap so decided to give it a try.Well I opened the bag and started putting it around my roses and was walking back to the bag to get more and my daughters kitten was in the bag munchin away! I never would have thought a cat would like alfalfa pellets, has anyone else experienced this? I had to keep telling all of the cats to leave it alone after the kitten started. They didn't however disturb any of my roses I put it around yesterday, just wouldn't stay out the bag! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buford(7 NE GA)

Cats do eat greens, usually grass to then throw up hairballs. I wouldn't let her eat too much.

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 5:01PM
GatorRose

Move the mulch and thrown in the pellets, then cover over....more than one way to fertilize our roses!

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 10:04PM
catsrose(VA 6)

As Buford says, cats do eat greens, typically grass. You can now buy green kitty crunchy treats. I keep a patch of catmint (nepeta) for my cats. They munch that as well as just roll in it. It's a good companion plant for roses, too.

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 10:37PM
onederw

I only wish my cat would eat my nepeta. But no--he prefers my favorite hakonechloa aureola as his hairball generator of choice.

Kay

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 1:36AM
Campanula UK Z8

grief - i have hasd to spray various ornamental grasses (hakenochloa, millium, heliotrichon and panicum) to keep the cat and dogs from munching them to stubs (I use a nasty bitter but harmless alum spray). I even grow a few pots of oats and wheat 'catgrass' for them - but they prefer the good stuff.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 3:40AM
alana8asc

I guess ya'll are making it seem more understandable, I did hide the alfalfa under the mulch and they haven't bothered it yet, although the last time I put out bone meal I saw where something dug a little hole, didn't see who it was in action, but they obviously didn't find what they were looking for because it was only done to a couple of the roses :)

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
Aphids have found my roses...
I guess you never find just one aphid... I just spent...
vmr423
Rain!
For those of us in drought-stricken areas of California,...
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
I'm addicted to white roses , what is your addiction?
And I can't seem to stop wanting those I find ! I love...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
giving up
most of my clippings and practically all of my past...
Campanula UK Z8
Thoughts on pruning? I'd love to see photos of your roses post-prune!
Hi all, I am gearing up for my first major pruning...
Dinglehopp3r z7A. EastTN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™