How can I get myjames galway to bloom again?

Joopster(5 (Chicago))August 8, 2014

I planted a James Galway bareroot at the end of April. Since then it has only bloomed once. I really miss it. How can I get this baby to bloom at least one more time before the summer ends.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

If you just planted it in April, it is not established yet, and is probably focusing on growing roots (which will help it survive the WInter). I would leave it alone, and let it get on with it. More flowers and blooms next year if it does not die.

Jackie

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 5:04PM
john_ca(CA US9/SSZ14)

I planted a grafted (multiflora) specimen of this rose 4 years ago. It is quite large now, around 10 feet high and 6-7 feet across. One year I did not trim off the faded flowers after the first spring flush and it formed enormous hips and refused to resume growth. Now when I deadhead, I trip back the faded flower 4 or 5 nodes, fertilize, then water deeply. New growth and new flowers appear in a month or so.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 6:39PM
Joopster(5 (Chicago))

10ft high? Oh boy! I have her in a 33 inches pot now. I may have to somehow find room for her in the ground.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 1:28AM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Yes, often vigorous shrub roses need to make a certain amount of growth before they repeat well. Until then they bloom in the spring flush and then concentrate on vegetative growth during the summer and fall.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 10:00AM
alameda/zone 8

I have had mine quite a few years. It is a very large shrub - I prune heavily in February and will cut it back some in late August. It blooms lots in spring then after the first flush, has more blooms, rests in summer and blooms again in fall. Its a lovely, healthy rose and is in full all day hot Texas sun and does fine. You will like it - just give it time to get established.
Judith

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 1:44AM
More Discussions
Tess of the d'Ubervilles
I have bragged on Tess on several posts but never could...
alameda/zone 8
about the David Austin bagged root roses out there now
Over on the rose forum there was a report of Austin...
stillanntn6b
Finished At Last!
Just finished planting the last three roses today which...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Are There Any Roses You Regret Buying?
I've already discarded many dozens so I'd better not...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
close cousins of Belinda's Dream?
BD looks like a great landcaping/cutting rose, but...
Adam Harbeck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™