accessible containers

gurley157fs(zone 7/8sc)February 7, 2005

Just found this great site! Many of you may already be using this idea but just in case:

I use 50 gallon plastic drums cut in half. Holes are drilled around the bottom for drainage and the half-barrel is filled halfway up with packing peanuts (to keep it from being so heavy). The top half of the half-barrel is filled with planting meduim. This creates a planter that is approximately waist high when you are in the sitting position and is accessible from all sides. I also have 3 two hundred gallon planters that were used to transport palms to be planted at a local airport. I use them to plant my tomatoes, peppers, and so forth. In the winter they hold cabbage and lettuce and sometimes I just use them as a holding container for things that I don't know what to do with yet. The big planters are about waist high when I am in the standing position.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janice__(Z 7)

Hi, thats a good adea.I'll have to try that one !Janice__

Bookmark   February 16, 2005 at 7:18AM
ejpip(6MO)

Where can one get 50 gal plastic drums?

Bookmark   February 27, 2005 at 8:00PM
gurley157fs(zone 7/8sc)

I used to get them from a farmer that I bought hay for my horses from. My 'horsin around' days are over though. So I had to ask hubby for suggestions.

First of all, if you do a net search, he said it's 55 gallon plastic barrels ( the 50 was incorrect). He suggested restraunts that buy cooking oil or paint stores.

Bookmark   February 27, 2005 at 8:34PM
chrisanne1(Z6 SE PA)

I guess you could use plastic trash cans if you can't locate any 55 gallon drums. They're pretty cheap at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart. I just recently had to throw away about a roomful of styrofoam peanuts as I couldn't find a local business that would accept them for recycling. Hadn't really thought about using them as drainage medium in containers...

Bookmark   March 9, 2005 at 3:09PM
oakleif(z6 AR)

another good idea to make the rounds again
vickie

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 5:16AM
More Discussions
Identify this
South African tree, please help identify it
BHudders
accessible gardening on the porch??
i'm new to this forum and new to possible accessible...
zippity1
List of gardening tools for elderly and disabled.
Hi All, I usually hang out in vegetable gardening forum....
aaaaaaaa
Garden power tools/ mulching
I'm a new/first-time homeowner and I am completely...
hrhrudi
Viburnum
I have a viburnum plant that has produced no flowers...
professor_nick
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™