Tomatoes! - Help

StrykrMarch 29, 2002

This is my first year playing "green thumb" I'm trying to grow tomatoes indoors from seeds, but it seems, no matter what variety I plant, around 1-2 inches and the little things bend over and die! It's like they can't hold their own weight! I do not use direct sunlight. They are in around 70 degrees temp. I planted them in a Walmart issued :) green house tray where you just add water and the soil pops up. The instructions say to keep the soil moist all the time. The little plants are nice and green, but just plop over after awhile. I turn the tray so they aren't "reaching" for the light. Don't know what else to do. Any help would be wonderful as this is my second batch attempt and it's happening again!

Thanks

Strykr

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fireraven9(z5ManzanitaMtNM)

Damping off happens ... I have heard that weak cold chamomile tea helps stop this, but better still is using sterile seed starting mix for starting them. They like moisture ... but make sure they are not soggy.

Fireraven9
March in the garden - my hostess shows me brown sticks and speaks of flowers
- Sister Benedicta

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Tomatoes

Bookmark   March 29, 2002 at 1:32PM
ellen_(z5 NY)

I agree that they might be too moist. Did you remove the cover once they emerged from the soil? If not, do so. They need the air. They need to dry out before watered again. Also, water from the bottom. Sunlight isn't going to be as strong as setting up some artificial lights and the lack of lights might be contributing to their problem.

Bookmark   March 29, 2002 at 4:25PM
taba(z5b MO)

I agree with the other comments. Let them dry, then water again from bottom with weak chamomile tea. I have had better luck with my plants started from seed since using the tea instead of plain water.

Read through the Growing Tomatoes forum for excellent info on this issue and lots of other tomato tips.

Hope they perk up!

Bookmark   April 1, 2002 at 2:09PM
Amunhotep4th(8-a/b)

Never had that problem, only the opposite. Are you sure they are getting enough light? Do try lighter, sterile mixes as those might also help.

Bookmark   April 19, 2003 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
I need something to keep me busy
I'm already in my 70's and life isn't as fast paced...
hardee38
Lasagna gardening
I'm gathering materials to start this and am pretty...
oncidihuh
Raised bed set up issues
I am setting up six raised beds using cinderblocks......
abunari
Question about Glucosamine / Chondroitin ......Do you take this?
Good Morning This morning I am having an awful time...
mikeandbarb
Fibromyalgia & gardening
Good morning! This forum has helped me immensly with...
compost_hugger_nancy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™