Window box, Window shelf

hayseedman(z5/6 Ct.)March 18, 2002

I'm not physically limited, but I thought this might be helpful to some of you.

I have deer and critter problems, so a couple of years ago, I leaned a couple of cedar posts (10 feet long kind) against my house along a side that happens to include my bathroom and kithcen windows. I then suspended a wide shelf from the posts, a little lower than the windows. I place pots of plants on the shelves. I can care for the plants by opening the window...

Another variation; With long pieces of wire, I suspend large baskets from my eaves. Lots of them, so that by the time the plants really get going, it's a mass of plants.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheila0(7a So. MD)

Just about everyone in my area has hanging baskets, everybody loves them, and they are FINALLY getting a
little creative too, with vegies, and all kinds of stuff.
And who can't love a Window Box, SOOOOOO easy, and LOOK so wonderful. They can jump start the most gray of days.
Sheila

Bookmark   March 19, 2002 at 10:45AM
weeping_china_doll

Hi! Well, I am always the one withall the questions!!
I would love to put a window box with beauitful flowers that flow down the sides & colorful ones that grow about a foot tall!For 3 years now, I have attempted to to put this design in my mind into a window box but I cannot seem to find anykind of vines or ground covers ,etc that'll fall over the box & just grow. They turn brown,stop growing & they look terrible. Would anybody have some ideas as to what kind of 'flowing flowers'& what would really look nice & grow in the middle? I would be grateful for any advice you would have.In time, I would love to return the favor!!

Bookmark   April 26, 2002 at 8:56AM
Zinnia(z6 OH)

Window box ideas for cascading plants:
Sun--superfina petunias, bacopa, million bells, verbena, vinca vine, licorice plant, ivy geraniums, alyssum, sweet potato vine, trailing lantana, pineapple mint, strepto-carpella, thyme
Shade--Fushia, lamium, impatiens, asparagus fern, torenia, lobelia, coleus, vinca vine, creeping jenny, ivy

Bookmark   April 27, 2002 at 12:33PM
Ingrid_(z6 NW)

Zinnia,
Thank you so much for you ideas regarding window box plants. I am putting in 8 window boxes. I do so want them to have a variety of plants so each one is different. Some will be in morning sun and the others will be in afternoon. Your advise is appreciated.

Bookmark   April 24, 2003 at 11:41PM
More Discussions
Lasagna gardening
I'm gathering materials to start this and am pretty...
oncidihuh
Identify this
South African tree, please help identify it
BHudders
Galvanized stock tanks for raised beds
Hi. I'm using galvanized stock tanks as raised beds...
gcorman
using tea bags around pots
hello. it is my first post here. Can I open old tea...
Libra9
Viburnum
I have a viburnum plant that has produced no flowers...
professor_nick
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™