Misting

MegNYC(z6NY)March 21, 2005

This may seem like a small thing but I am about to start my indoor seed sowing, and I will need to mist a lot.

I have very arthritic hands (had my knuckles replaced in one of them) and sometimes I want to scream in frustration at those plastic misting bottles that I just can't get to work sometimes. Full bottle, squeeze and squeeze and nothing comes out.

I saw a picture of one thing that might work, it had kind of a goose-neck nozzle and you could pull the spraying part right out of the bottle because it had a long hose. The downside was it only came with a gallon container, which you hold in the other hand and I can't carry anything that heavy.

Has anyone found an easy solution to this problem?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

About all that comes to mind from here is to either throw money or a handyperson at the problem and acquire a propagating unit with a mister system. They can be homemade by someone with working knowledge of electrical systems and there are 'recipes' available on the internet - possibly even on the propagation site. Or you may be able to pick one up at a flea market/farmers' market place, second-hand.

I agree about the hand misting containers: they are so tiring to use.

Bookmark   March 27, 2005 at 3:00AM
MegNYC(z6NY)

I did find a solution just over the weekend. Expensive, but good. It's called Delta Sprayer.

You pump first, but the pumping is pretty easy, cause if you put it on a flat surface, you can pump with the palm of your hand. No gripping or strength required, really. Then you mist by pressing a little button on the handle ... very easy.

It cost about $30, but that's a lot less than a whole misting system, and is easy to work.

Bookmark   March 29, 2005 at 12:23PM
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Sounds great, MegNYC! Much cheaper, and will probably cover far more flats than a unit.

I keep dreaming about a mister - but I'm a bit electrically-challenged - can't easily tell a resistor from a capacitor. I wonder if they have a 'paint by numbers' version for the likes of me?!

Bookmark   March 31, 2005 at 3:40AM
corgicorner(Mass 6/7)

There are misting nozzles available that fit on the end of the hose. Try some of your better gardening centers. Another suggestion.....try "misting nozzles" in your search engine.

Bookmark   April 7, 2005 at 4:10PM
More Discussions
Do real ladies climb trees?
Hi - First time on this forum and I came here looking...
seattlegardener
How do you keep weeds down?
Great to find this forum! I have MS and some pretty...
jlynn
Would love my back yard to look like this.
I only recognize one plant in the photo and it is the...
420benz
Can you name this plant? and what is wrong with it??!
I bought the plant thinking i could bring it back to...
belenlives
houzz Where is Gardening Australia ?????
I know we are at the bottom of the earth but where...
keithgh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™