Straw bale gardening

peacebird5(z6PA)April 3, 2008

Straw bale gardening is easy and accessible. There are a fw websites out there relating to strawbale gardening, and they're worth taking a look at. Strawbale gardening means no howing, no tilling, no weeding - except for what grows in the straw.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barbolinks(3)

has anyone in zone 3 tried straw bale gardening? I think this is just the ticket for me with a wonky back.

Bookmark   April 18, 2008 at 4:19PM
macthayer(z9a NV)

I'm in zone 4, and I'm going to try it next year. If you can grow veggies in zone 3, I don't see why this wouldn't work for you as well. In fact, I would think the bales of straw would hold heat and that would be an advantage in your zone. I think it's a terrific idea, even if you don't have a "wonky" back. It's great for the soil, and for the vegetables as well. I did find one site that really showed off straw bale gardening. He has tons of photos showing how he did it, step by step, and every layer he put into it. He used a lot of mushroom compost, which I do not have available to me, so I will use something else. I'll have plenty of compost, plus plan to use layers of leaf mold and anything else I can think of. I'm going to put heavy cardboard on the bottom to keep the weeds down. Anyway, Len also has tons of photos of all the beautiful veggies he grew -- tons of them! He got quite a crop! And it didn't look like a lot of work either. Hope this helps. MacThayer

Here is a link that might be useful: Len's Home Page

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 8:33PM
strawgardengirl

I almost gave up on gardening. The weeds were a pain, the soil was clay and very little nutrients..So i started researching no dig type gardens and was HOOKED...the best gardening experience I have ever had. If you want photos of a straw garden,and info on how to get it started check out this site

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 12:23AM
More Discussions
Can you name this plant? and what is wrong with it??!
I bought the plant thinking i could bring it back to...
belenlives
when to water notifier?
I was wondering if there is a product out there that...
ellusionz
Raised garden bed on concrete. bad?
Im new to gardening, and i have a 6' x 10' concrete...
tcon83
How do you keep weeds down?
Great to find this forum! I have MS and some pretty...
jlynn
About making a Orchids garden
Hi I live in Bangladesh. I wanna make a Orchids garden...
gsumonto5
Sponsored Products
8' Surface Mount Steel Slotted Garden Bench
Fifthroom.com
Brunello 37 diam. in. Wide Bottom Planter - Weathered Terracotta - A269534
$420.53 | Hayneedle
Sunnydaze Classic 3-Tier Designer Water Fountain, 55 Inch Tall
SerenityHealth
PRIMO Tissue Box by Blomus
$71.09 | Lumens
Martha Stewart Fretwork Gravel Wool Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Henri Studio Hi-Tone Sea Otter 3-Tier Fountain
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Courtyard Natural/Olive 5 ft. 3
Home Depot
Bold Beauty Floral Arrangement
$619.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™