raised garden-concrete staining?

leee(7)May 5, 2002

Hello,

I'm planning to put two 2x12 ft. raised beds on my large conrete slab in the backyard. I noticed a post from someone that mentioned a raised bed will stain the concrete. I live in military housing and I have to leave the place in the same condition that I received it (no 12 ft. concrete stains). Has anyone removed a raised bed off of concrete and had trouble removing the stains? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taba(z5b MO)

Hmmm. Good question. I don't have an answer, but you might also post this to Tips and Techniques or maybe Soil, Compost and Mulch. In those forums, you might also mention if it's intended for an accessible garden.

Good luck with it.

Bookmark   May 7, 2002 at 1:25PM
docgipe

Great idea! Yes it will stain the concrete but you could start with a contractor's inexpensive polyvinyl tarp. Any hardware store or place like K-Mart has them. Check the sizes available and build the raised bed to use the tarp for concrete protection. If you place one edge of your bed on the low side edge of the concrete you can leave that edge of the tarp run out over the edge of the concrete to permit heavy rains to leach out of your garden. I might also suggest a fairly heavy use of peat moss in your bed for a lot of good reasons. It will hold water for you. It will make your growing medium easier to work. The plants will love it. I would use a whole large bale of it in a 4 X 10 raised garden.

Bookmark   May 11, 2002 at 11:49AM
Maigan(z6b MD)

You can remove all stains from concrete with a power washer and some cleaner. I have an inground pool with a cement surround and every year we have to power wash it due to leaves sticking to it and other debri, therefore staining it. It works well. you can rent a power washer or find some one who owns one and borrow it for about an hour ;)
good luck with all you do and have fun!!!!

Hugs
Maigan

Bookmark   May 13, 2002 at 9:24PM
POOHBEAR07782_YAHOO_COM

To prevent weeds and mud, I have put down a large tarp over my dirt yard, can i make the raise garden over the tarp?

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 7:55PM
najoba(8b)

What would you use to remove the stains? We aren't gardening on our patio, but using a power washer did not remove the stains. I'd like to know of a good cleaner.

Nancy

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 7:29PM
More Discussions
Gardening ideas for a townhouse
Just moved to a new area and am living in a townhome....
petalil
Affordable Automated Garden?
Does anyone know of an automated hydroponic garden...
GotPonics
Question about Glucosamine / Chondroitin ......Do you take this?
Good Morning This morning I am having an awful time...
mikeandbarb
when to water notifier?
I was wondering if there is a product out there that...
ellusionz
Watering
Hi, Everyone, My Mom needs to be careful with her neck,...
lonicera13
Sponsored Products
Carlton Birch Sable Dark Stained Wood Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Trademark Global 14 in. Pontiac Firebird Black Chrome Double Ring Neon Wall Cloc
$73.52 | Home Depot
Opposition Tray by Alessi
$200.00 | Lumens
Vintage Spring 2 Wall Decor
| Dot & Bo
Gray Wood Grain Brushed Steel Adjustable Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Naples White King Bed
Overstock.com
Louvered Outdoor Teak Trunk
$899.00 | FRONTGATE
WATER & DIRT SHIELD ™ Pineapple Half-Round Mat