I Am Fortunate-----

jenny570(z6-OH)May 30, 2003

I feel very fortunate to have young people who live close to me, and who are willing to do odd jobs. The boy is seventeen now and has recently started a regular job at a pizza place, and I will miss him greatly! His sister also does yard work for me. They are both willing to work and to listen and learn how I like things done. It is such a blessing to be able to find good helpers, and we all benefit from the arrangement. When my knees need a rest I sit and supervise. Without the help of these young people there are many projects that would have not been completed. Sometimes teenagers get a bad 'rap,' but if you need part-time garden help and can find young people in your neighborhood who need work, and who know how to work, it can be a blessing to all of you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
storygardener(5/6 central oh)

That's wonderful, Jenny!

I, too, have some young people that help me with my gardening projects. I could not do it all by myself. They are eager to help and anxious to learn all about gardening.

Just think...we could be opening a whole new interest for them. If not now, in their busy teen lives - but, perhaps, when they get older and have a place of there own to garden. We have been planting another kind of seed.

It really is wonderful.

....Beverly

Bookmark   June 9, 2003 at 1:17PM
Lindie(z7GA)

I agree; there are many wonderful young people out there today! Actually, there are many wonderful people of all ages. I've never been turned down or looked sideways at whenever I've asked someone for help. I've found that as long as I have a smile on my face, others usually do, too. And how good it must make the young people feel to know that they are really needed, appreciated and that they can help and make a difference in someone's life. You're right, Jenny, finding young people to help out in the garden can be a good thing for everyone involved.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Pond Garden

Bookmark   June 10, 2003 at 1:58AM
littledesertrodent(z1 AK)

I have to say even though I am older now, but I have to thank a older neighbor who used to recruit my younger brother and I when we were kids to help with her backyard garden. I believe it was because of her and a little of my parents too that gave me my love of gardening today. Her husband and her had an extremely large garden and every year she would come over and ask if we would like to help pick sweet corn, green and wax beans, tomatoes, green peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, and too many other items that I can't even remember anymore! She never paid us in money just food, as we used to be able to bring our portion of the veggies back to my parents(and on the way back eating alot of it too!)
Thanks Mrs Donnelly.
;) (Good memories there.)

Bookmark   October 12, 2003 at 9:48AM
More Discussions
A tangent, perhaps - healthcare cost and the cost of water.
It just occurred to me as I am setting here staring...
albert_135
How do you keep weeds down?
Great to find this forum! I have MS and some pretty...
jlynn
Question about Glucosamine / Chondroitin ......Do you take this?
Good Morning This morning I am having an awful time...
mikeandbarb
【강동오피】BAM WAR .COM〔분당오피〕『인천오피』
【강동오피】BAM WAR .COM〔분당오피〕『인천오피』【강동오피】BAM...
merryjoykubit222
List of gardening tools for elderly and disabled.
Hi All, I usually hang out in vegetable gardening forum....
aaaaaaaa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™