String trimmer for 83 year old?

John__ShowMe__USA(5/6)May 19, 2003

My DOM is obsessed with keeping her yard & garden neat. A gas weedeater is just too much for her to handle. Are there similar lightweight battery powered tools that would do what a weedeater does? She is quite mobile and has no problem with being on her hands and knees working in the garden. Perhaps something on wheels? Or something really small? No extention cords please.

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardeningangel_z6

I'm 'only' 70 , but have fibromyalgia and arthritis.
I bought a light-weight electric weed eater , and find that I can use it quite easily. Maybe that would work for your mother.
I admire her for wanting to continue 'doing' her yard!

Bookmark   May 20, 2003 at 8:29AM
John__ShowMe__USA(5/6)

gardeningangel,

I'm thinking about getting the one in the link below.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: GrassHog

Bookmark   May 20, 2003 at 12:57PM
gardeningangel_z6

John,
It looks like the one I got from WalMart.

Bookmark   May 20, 2003 at 8:56PM
barbara_muret(ctr OK)

I'm only 55 - but have physical limitations - Weedeater came out with a new super lightweight, easy to start weedeater that is really cheap and does a super job - I'm very impressed - - - other than that I would recommend an electric one with a long extension cord (but be sure to ask a person "in the know" to get you the right amp for the length of the extension as well as the amp of the weedeater). The electric ones are really lightweight. barb

Bookmark   August 5, 2003 at 9:13AM
caseyf(GA)

HI..I have had several surgeries..shoulder,ankles, ,knees, etc and can not manage a heavy weedwacker either..plus I could never start a gas powered ones and electric ones get in the way..dragging cords etc. We just found the perfect thing for me a few months ago at sears.. Its a rechargeable battery powered weed eater. It is great for edging grass around our pool, landscape ties etc. And..I dont have to ask anyone to crank it for me..no smell..no cords..not very loud.. Im well pleased with it..Always starts..easy to use and handle..Might just be exactly what you are looking for.
Hope this helps and Happy Gardening..

Bookmark   October 19, 2003 at 10:19AM
More Discussions
Garden power tools/ mulching
I'm a new/first-time homeowner and I am completely...
hrhrudi
Building a Raised/Elevated Garden Bed for Senior Center
I was asked to make raised garden beds at my local...
TypeEF
Would love my back yard to look like this.
I only recognize one plant in the photo and it is the...
420benz
houzz Where is Gardening Australia ?????
I know we are at the bottom of the earth but where...
keithgh
Do real ladies climb trees?
Hi - First time on this forum and I came here looking...
seattlegardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™