Container Moving

msgaz(9 Az)October 10, 2002

I live in the desert, and have several large and fairly heavy containers that need to be moved due to season changes

I'm trying to figure out something I can put them on with wheels so I can easily move them when needed. I've seen flat wooden dollies, but their to expensive for as many as I will need. Has anyone solved this problem yet?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsbeasley(4a Northern Ont)

Perhaps a child's wagon? or a heavy tarp that you could drag? I have borrowed the dolly from the hardware store that they use to move heavy appliances etc. but usually I use an aluminum snow scoop, but I guess they're not too plentiful where you live.

Here is a link that might be useful: Get a kid's plastic snow sled

Bookmark   October 10, 2002 at 12:13PM
sylviad6

I have a moving cart that I use to move bags of fertilizer, container plants, etc. It looks like a refrigertor mover. My husband bought it for me at Ocean State Job Lot. If you do not have one near you, there must be other job lot stores around

Bookmark   November 17, 2002 at 10:57PM
Zinnia(z6 OH)

I bought several round wooden dollies with wheels from Home Depot at $3.00 each last year, my DH also made some square ones for me. If you don't have anyone to make them you could ask the local high school woodshop teacher if they would be interested in making them for you, it would be a great project for students to make and also a community service project.

Bookmark   January 30, 2003 at 9:01PM
msgaz(9 Az)

Zinnia, yes since I posted that remark our HD and Kmart
both now sell the dollies. They are wonderfully useful. Though we paid 7.00 a piece. I'll keep watching for sales on them though.

Bookmark   January 31, 2003 at 4:22PM
oakleif(z6 AR)

I have a wheelbarrow i use to move containers with but i can still lift a little bit.

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 3:03AM
najoba(8b)

I used to show dogs, and had a rolling wire cart with big wheels to move dog crates. I still have it, and it is terrific for moving stuff, has a rope on it that's easy to pull. We have rough ground, but it moves with ease. You might try looking into that. It's been a great help to me.

Bookmark   September 27, 2008 at 2:12AM
Belgianpup(Wa/Zone 7b)

If you can lift the containers at all, look at those rolling things that guys roll under cars with.

If they're really heavy, and you can't lift them, but can tip them, and where you're moving them to is on the same surface as where they're starting out, get several oak dowels from a hardware store. The one inch diameter ones are pretty good. Cut them in half. (3/4" thick-wall PVC pipe cut in appropriate lengths should work, too.) Then line them up in front of your container. Tip the container back and roll one dowel under it, then another one. Roll the container on the dowels in the direction you want to go. As the dowels roll out from behind, place them in the front again, and just keep going.

Sue

Bookmark   November 6, 2008 at 1:05AM
More Discussions
How do you keep weeds down?
Great to find this forum! I have MS and some pretty...
jlynn
Can you name this plant? and what is wrong with it??!
I bought the plant thinking i could bring it back to...
belenlives
Raised bed set up issues
I am setting up six raised beds using cinderblocks......
abunari
Viburnum
I have a viburnum plant that has produced no flowers...
professor_nick
Garden power tools/ mulching
I'm a new/first-time homeowner and I am completely...
hrhrudi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™