Raised Beds - What material to make them of?

raisedbed_gardenerOctober 8, 2006

I live in the LA area and want to put about 4 4'x12' raised beds in my backyard. I am researching materials - composites like Trex/Weatherboard, Vinyls (e.g. Orcaboard),

and am told even the Trex-like composites can get terminates and the vinyls expensive to ship to LA. I am also hearing stories of redwood getting termites. I want something that will last 5-10 years and pretty simple but durable. Ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vino560

I am presently constructing a raised vegetable garden out of cedar. So far I have two 45"x12"x20' beds and working on two more the same size. My soil is mostly clay so I am going to amend it by purchasing soil from a local landscape company. Being in L.A. you should have no problem getting cedar boards.

The wood is expensive but, I am pretty sure they will last a minimum of 5 years. I used 2"X6"X5' boards and 6"X6"X10' cedar posts (cut to 12" long) My cost is running approximately $130 per bed

I too want to know the the type of soil I should use. Since my soil is clay, and the depth is over 10", I will not use any type of material on the bottom. I will continue to look around for ideas on what type of soil to use.

Good luck to you. Vino

Bookmark   October 8, 2006 at 6:38PM
buffburd(z5 NY)

Trex-like board looked pretty expensive for raised beds when I checked. I ended up using 6"x6" pressure treated timbers that I got a deal on since they had been outside at a lumberyard for several years and were a bit twisted.

Something I forgot to do when I filled by raised beds was to allow for 4-6 inches of mulch on top of the soil for weed prevention and water retention.

For soil I used a 50/50 or so of compost and regular soil bought from Agway. I've been amending the beds with shredded leaves and coffee grounds.

Bookmark   January 1, 2007 at 9:12PM
chukcha

<i>

Bookmark   January 5, 2007 at 1:34PM
newskye(uk-8b)

I made some beds last year out of cedar log-rolls. £18 per roll, 18' high. It has a guarantee of 7 years and it's dead easy to put together. I'm going to put in several more this year. I hope the image works, I'm not too good at including images yet!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   February 11, 2007 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
Would love my back yard to look like this.
I only recognize one plant in the photo and it is the...
420benz
Are all poppy flowers illegal (used for drugs) ?
Hi, I recently bought a bunch of flower seed packets...
Placebo
Viburnum
I have a viburnum plant that has produced no flowers...
professor_nick
Garden power tools/ mulching
I'm a new/first-time homeowner and I am completely...
hrhrudi
Lithops- Seeds
Is it worth growing seeds, or shall I buy the plants? How...
Quixo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™