Apartment Gardening

Anna_Chira(8)November 24, 2012

I'm new and I'm not sure I'm posting in the right place; if not, I apologize!

I'm new to gardening in general, but I have what I see as a problem. My husband is in the Army (Fort Bragg) and we decided that, since we won't be here more than a couple of years, we're going to stay in an apartment. That's my problem. We have a small patio on the ground level of our building, but it doesn't get direct sunlight.

These are my two questions:

1. What plants thrive without direct sunlight that can be potted for the duration of their lives?

2. What are some good indoor plants that also don't need direct sunlight? I suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and winter is really hard to get through, so I want to try filling my apartment with plants so I can fake spring until it actually arrives.

Thanks y'all!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Hi Anna_Chira,

Welcome to Garden Web and this is as good a place as any to ask though this forum is pretty slow.

1. What plants thrive without direct sunlight that can be potted for the duration of their lives?
Hosta immediately come to mind, in all sizes and foliage color combinations!

What are some good indoor plants that also don't need direct sunlight?
Check out the links below.

Low-Light Plants for Indoors. if you get to know some of your neighbors, possibly they would have cuttings to share that you could try rooting this winter.

For other ideas, you might try checking out and reading some of the posts at
Gardening in Shade Forum. You might get other ideas there for some shade loving plants for containers outside.

Also check out...The Houseplant Forum

maybe others...All The Garden Web Forums

What about putting out a bird feeder or two, and doing some winter Bird watching. If you try that I'd suggest getting a Field Guide to North American Birds, as well as a pair of binoculars.

Good luck. Spring is right around the corner. The spring thaw usually happens here in IN sometime in Feb.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Houseplants: No Sunny Window Required!

Bookmark   November 25, 2012 at 9:16PM
georgeiii

If you get bright light there's no reason you can't grow just about anything you like. Try making a light closet for plants indoors. Go to photobucket/ChristianWarlock for some ideas and just a bunch of pretty pictures to look at.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 1:36PM
eircsmith

Hi "Anna_Chira". Welcome to Garden Web and this is good place to ask question in this forum.

Bookmark   February 15, 2013 at 12:13AM
More Discussions
Lithops- Seeds
Is it worth growing seeds, or shall I buy the plants? How...
Quixo
Would love my back yard to look like this.
I only recognize one plant in the photo and it is the...
420benz
Raised bed set up issues
I am setting up six raised beds using cinderblocks......
abunari
About making a Orchids garden
Hi I live in Bangladesh. I wanna make a Orchids garden...
gsumonto5
A tangent, perhaps - healthcare cost and the cost of water.
It just occurred to me as I am setting here staring...
albert_135
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™