First raised bed

griley(z5 Chicago)December 25, 2003

Hi! I'm new to this forum and to vegetable gardening. I'm planning a raised bed for vegetables and have a question about how to fill it with soil. The bed will be about 16 inches tall and will be placed over an existing grassy area. Is it necessary to kill the grass and till it before adding soil to the bed? Also, what kind of soil does one use to fill a raised bed? I know using our clay soil would not be appropriate for proper drainage but do you just add amended top soil? What amendments do you add and in what amounts do you add them? The bed will be either 8'x4' or 12'x4' and about 16 inches tall. Thanks for your help. Happy Holidays!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enchantedplace

We usually kill off the grass first by covering with heavy cardboard and leaves and leaving it all winter, in the spring pull out the cardboard, add bags of top soil some peat and sand to the decayed leaves and mix well together, we usually add other amendments such as blood meal, bone meal, phosphate, according to instructions. To have a good loose organic soil with good drainage is the the objective. A raised bed decreases need to bend or kneel. Good luck.

Bookmark   December 27, 2003 at 3:40PM
Thirston(7/Charlotte, NC.)

So, I'm curious... will 12"-16" of soil placed over the existing grass be enough to kill it off? I'm asking because I am thinking of making a raised bed or two in the next few weeks but am unsure what to do about the grass below. Should I place a thick layer or newspaper over the grass then set the soil above that? Will the grass be able to find it's way through the classifieds and 12"-16" of soil to the sun?

Bookmark   April 10, 2004 at 6:23PM
marie99(z8 SC)

Put the newspapers or cardboard down just to be safe. If the soil doesn't kill the grass you will be so sorry.

Bookmark   May 1, 2004 at 9:35PM
More Discussions
Are all poppy flowers illegal (used for drugs) ?
Hi, I recently bought a bunch of flower seed packets...
Placebo
Viburnum
I have a viburnum plant that has produced no flowers...
professor_nick
Gardening ideas for a townhouse
Just moved to a new area and am living in a townhome....
petalil
Do real ladies climb trees?
Hi - First time on this forum and I came here looking...
seattlegardener
Affordable Automated Garden?
Does anyone know of an automated hydroponic garden...
GotPonics
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™