Re-stocking a pot ghetto

rosefollySeptember 24, 2011

A few weeks ago I had all my roses planted either in the ground or in permanent pots. Today I went to the SJHRG fall sale and all that changed.

What I really had in mind was Curtiss Avenue Yellow Tea, but they only had two available. Both were sold in the first half hour before I got there. Found roses are really appealing to me these days. I did find two roses to buy, Edith Perry, a seedling of 'Bon Silene', and Plymouth Fence Tea. No doubt I can find a space out by the deer fence for these two, especially if I move one of the grapevines.

Rosefolly

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sadie_pnw

Rosefolly, so interested to hear that you are wanting to plant tea roses. I hope you're really happy with your re-established ghetto and the roses that you bought.

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 4:52PM
Mendocino_Rose(z8 N CA.)

I really enjoyed going to that event last year and missed it this time. The roses that I bought last year are all in the ground and happy. I believe that the pot ghetto is an important part of the garden ongoing. There's always something that has to be replaced.

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 5:42PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

We'll be back NEXT year.

Clay wanted Edith Perry, too.

Jeri

Bookmark   September 24, 2011 at 6:02PM
rosefolly

Harborrose, it isn't so much that I want to plant teas, it is more that I want to plant found roses. I have several hybrid perpetual type found roses in my garden as well. HPs are probably my favorite class. I also love the OB-OGRs but they don't thrive here.

Mendocino Rose - You make a valid point. The thing about a pot ghetto that bothers me is that I see it as an unfinished chore. If I could get over that I would relax more about it.

Jeri - I'll let you know how Edith Perry turns out. I've always liked the name Edith, though I've never known anyone with that name. I think that may have snagged my interest. Besides, the picture was pretty.

Rosefolly

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 1:13AM
Mendocino_Rose(z8 N CA.)

Paula, I used to look at the pot ghetto as an unfinished task. Now I look at it as my nursery. I'm with you on the found roses. I've found that they are usually the strongest growers in my garden.

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 10:27AM
sadie_pnw

lol, Rosefolly - I'll amend my statement. I am interested to hear that you are wanting to plant found roses, even if they are teas! This is just gentle teasing, Paula. I just remember your not wanting to plant teas and since I love them so much I'm glad you want to plant some, even if it is because they are the more mysterious found varieties.

And I am always interested in pot ghettos. Mine grows not necessarily because I have space or a spot, just because I want to see what it will grow into.

Smiling at you, Gean

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 4:36PM
rosefolly

Gean, you have too good a memory. It's fortunate that I'm not running for political office (besides the fact that I would do a miserable job at governing). You would catch me up on all my statements that contradicted what I said before!

I can't smell teas, unfortunately, and they take up a lotta space for to-me-unscented roses. But I am a creature of contradictions.

Pamela, I learn a lot of good things from you, always have.

Rosefolly

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 6:06PM
sadie_pnw

I only remember things about roses, Rosefolly. I wish I could remember more useful things, like where I put my keys and whether I turned off the iron!

Bookmark   September 25, 2011 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
looking for McGredy's Yellow
Any one out there know of a source for McGredy's yellow,...
fleabie
new garden bed - mixing pink roses
The cool autumn nights are here, so I think it might...
Adam Harbeck
Rose Spring Dwarf Disease on Mel's Heritage?
Does this look like Rose Spring Dwarf Disease on Mel's...
jo_pyeweed
Request to post documentary photos on HMF
Lately I've been cataloging the eighty roses from Petrovic...
Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
Where are they now? (Francis Dubreuil & other MIA roses)
The previous threads on this topic (and a few others)...
vmr423
Sponsored Products
Wood Flower Cart
$24.99 | zulily
Justice Design Group CNDL-8571 - Victoria 1 Light Wall Sconce - Cylinder with Me
$196.20 | Hayneedle
Calhoun Sectional - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Sofia the First Decal Set
$8.99 | zulily
Garden Hose Pot
$99.99 | zulily
Campania International Sugar Maple Cast Stone Stepper - E-117-AL
$64.99 | Hayneedle
Campania International The Thinking Man s Frog Cast Stone Garden Statue - A-385-
$174.99 | Hayneedle
Tommy Bahama by Lexington Home Brands Road to Canberra St. Kilda Lamp Table Mult
$969.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™