Lady of Megginch, The Dark Lady, or Strawberry Hill?

roselee z8b S.W. TexasOctober 22, 2011

I have a chance to purchase Lady of Megginch, The Dark Lady, and/or Strawberry Hill on Fortuniana root stock, which does so well for me here in San Antonio, Texas. What are your experiences with these roses as regards to heat tolerance, beauty, fragrance, good foliage health, etc.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a

I can only comment on Lady of Megginch. My plant is a very slow grower (so far) and stingy bloomer. It's young though, in it's "creep" year. No blackspot ever, even when most everything else was covered. It's supposed to be fragrant, but I haven't noticed any yet. Pretty flowers. I'm pretty quick to get rid of a plant that I don't like (as I have a small yard), and have no plans to toss this one. Folks who have had Lady M longer may be able to give a better report.

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 11:22AM
jerijen(Zone 10)

I can speak ONLY to 'The Dark Lady,' and I have ONLY grown her on her own roots.

As an own-root plant, she is of modest size. I hope I live long enough to see her reach 3 ft. THAT SAID, she is a generous bloomer, even as a small plant, and the blooms are large, richly-colored, and fragrant. (Good in a vase, too.)
If we still exhibited, I would plant ten of this rose.

In my climate, she is very disease-resistant -- but note that our problems here are rust and mildew. Blackspot is a rare visitor -- so I don't know about that.

She is a child of 'Prospero,' I think, and that is a big favorite here. I would grow her budded, if I could.

Jeri, Coastal Ventura Co., SoCal

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 7:01PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Brittie and Jeri, much appreciation for giving your experience with the varieties in question that you grow, Lady of Megginch and The Dark Lady.

I'm hoping to hear from some others also.

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 2:10AM
TNY78(7a-East TN)

I am a newer rose grower, and I grow The Dark Lady in a no spray garden. She was purchased own root in a 1 gallon pot in early spring 2011, and is now about 18 inches high. I agree with Jeni, she is a very high bloom producer and repeats very rapidly! She also hasn't done the "I want to be a climber" thing that so many of my other Austins have done in our hot Tennessee summers.

My only complaint is that she has weak necks. I'm not sure if its because she's only in her first year, or if her blooms are just too heavy for the stems. That being said, I would still 100% reccommend planting her. Our biggest disease problem here is blackspot, and I haven't had many issues with her compared to other suppossedly "disease resistant" roses. She's definitly a great purchase!

~Tammy

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 11:42AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Tammy, thank you very much for relating your experience with The Dark Lady!

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 12:12PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

I decided on Lady of Megginch and The Dark Lady for now. Hopefully, I can provide a positive report on how they do in hot San Antonio, Texas a year from now :-)

A couple more I'm really wanting on Fortuniana roots is Carding Mill and Young Lyucidas since I've read good reports on them here, but they won't be available until next year.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 2:25PM
zeffyrose_pa6b7(6b7)

Good Luck with your two new roses----I've been wanting The Dark Lady for a long time----Hope to soon see some lovely pictures of yours.

Florence

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
Opinion on planting group of 3 different Austins in triangle
I'd like to plant something interesting as a focal...
view1ny NY 6-7
Looking out the windows on roses
Almost every single window in my house looks out on...
jacqueline9CA
Water Usage (Again) . . .
Well! I see that, at long last, the Los Angeles Times...
odinthor
Gardens near Paris
Hi, I will be visiting Paris, France for the first...
Kristin Rothwell
Hardier Teas?
My tea roses have taken a beating the last two winters....
subk3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™