Marie Louise redux?

jacqueline9CAOctober 22, 2011

This rose is listed in HMF as a Centifolia/Damask. I have no knowledge about those sorts of roses - hoping some of you can clue me in.

When we moved into our house over 20 years ago, my father-in-law pointed out a very double, dark pink rose and told me it was Marie Louise, and that his parents had planted it because that was his sister's name.

The area where it was growing was very shady, and it hardly bloomed at all. My Dh and I decided to move it, but this was early in my rose life, and we had no idea what we were doing - it died.

15 years later, we cut down a very huge tree in the front of our property, and the area where ML had originally been growing suddenly got a lot of light. All of the roses that were nearby have perked up and started growing and blooming much more.

Last week I was looking at those roses, and realized that, in the exact spot where ML had grown, there are about 10 tiny spindly thin rose canes coming up - they are about 12-18 inches high at this point. They are not growing out of one base, but are emerging from the soil several inches away from each other, over an area about 1 foot square. Two of them have produced blooms that look like the HMF pictures of ML - just sitting there, on the top of the spindly canes, which to my amazement are able to support them without falling over. The flowers are very very fragrant.

My question is - could this be ML coming back from ancient roots? My garden is messy, and it is possible that there has been some green growth there in the past, and I might not have noticed it, although I am sure there have not been any flowers since we dug up the original plant 15 years ago. Do Damask roses put out little canes over an area like that? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jackie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosefolly

Yes, in my experience Damask roses can sucker, though they are not as aggressive about it as rugosas and gallicas are.

I've actually had a number of own-root roses come up from random bits of roots left in the ground when I remove or transplant the original rose -- Hermosa, Sally Holmes, and Mermaid being three that come immediately to mind.

Rosefolly

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 1:02PM
seil zone 6b MI

I would say yes, indeed it is Marie Louise! Any roots that you left behind in the ground when you dug her out are probably responding to the better conditions and are growing now. Congratulations!

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 5:07PM
jacqueline9CA

Ha! Then I will feed it and mulch it and see what it does by the Spring - how fun! Thanks -

Jackie

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 5:09PM
cath41(6a)

Jackie,

The only thing that seems peculiar is that HMF says that Marie Louise is a once only bloomer in Spring or Summer. This is very late for a Damask/Centifolia but I know nothing about what to expect in Califorbia.

Cath

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 4:34PM
jacqueline9CA

Cath - I just figured that it produced blooms now because it finally got some sun, and is coming back to life. I have a Belle Portugaise, which is also a once bloomer, and it produced 4 blooms one year after we had to cut it back very hard.

Jackie

Bookmark   October 23, 2011 at 6:39PM
Mendocino_Rose(z8 N CA.)

I can tell you that it suckers widely. I wouldn't call Marie Louise dark pink,but maybe what I call dark pink is different from what you call it.

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 10:11AM
jacqueline9CA

When it blooms again (may be next year) I will post some pictures to see if we can identify it as ML or not.

Jackie

Bookmark   October 24, 2011 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
looking for McGredy's Yellow
Any one out there know of a source for McGredy's yellow,...
fleabie
Jenny Duval
Hey! I was wondering if anyone grew this rose and knew...
Alana8aSC
Small blooms on Marie van Houtte
I'm in Houston and we've had a very wet spring, lots...
humble5
Looking out the windows on roses
Almost every single window in my house looks out on...
jacqueline9CA
Id this rose please
Hi guys, is there anyone here that can identify this...
Ethan Bradley
Sponsored Products
Kimono Tufted Pile Rug by Thomas Paul
$390.00 | Lumens
Robert Abbey Mary McDonald Deep Patina Bronze Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
World Imports Chandeliers Bella Marie 6-Light Hanging Antique Gold Chandelier
Home Depot
Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans Maris 44 in. Indoor Oil Rubbed Bronze Ceiling Fan 26608
$69.97 | Home Depot
Marie Crystal Jar
$289.00 | FRONTGATE
Poppies Canvas Wall Art - 40W x 32H in. - 41-430
$74.14 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™