Huntsville area seed swap

alabamanicole(7b)January 3, 2014

For those of you in the northern part of the state, the Tennessee Valley Community Garden Association will be hosting the second annual Seed Celebration on Friday January 31st at the Church of the Nativity in downtown Huntsville.

Food and drink provided by local restaurants, breweries, and wineries. Doors will open at 6pm, and the keynote speaker will begin at 7:15. There is also live music by the Sandy City Ramblers.

The event is a benefit for the Sand Mountain Seed Bank, based in Albertville. A donation of $0-$30 is requested -- in the spirit of community, no one will be turned away.

More info here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/465478836912089

Yours truly will be riding herd over the food buffet, so come say hi.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Can you direct me to a non facebook website? Couldn't find one for this year.

Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 6:10PM
alabamanicole(7b)

I don't think there is one; TVCGA doesn't keep a website. When we get closer there will probably be a news article or two on WAATY or the AL.com site.

If I can answer any questions, please let me know. If I don't know I know who to ask.

Bookmark   January 3, 2014 at 6:40PM
outsideplaying_gw(7)

Just saw this, and will try to attend. Due to work, I wasn't home much during this past summer, so haven't collected any seeds to exchange this year unfortunately. But I can certainly make a donation.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 9:54AM
possumpeg

I am very new to this so please excuse my ignorance. I don't have seeds to swap, but would like good local seeds. Can I buy them at one of these events? Thank you for any help you can offer.

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 8:40PM
alabamanicole(7b)

Possumpeg, you are welcome to come. Last year the swap was very informal; people added and took whatever they had or needed. There is no selling. There are some folks donating extra seeds, including my blog and also I think CT Garvin and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange both are sending some. The Sand Mountain Seed Bank will probably be bringing some as well.

However, we do not (yet) have a strong community of seed savers. Most of the seeds were commercial, parts of packets and so forth. Hopefully each year more people will bring seeds they saved themselves.

Bookmark   January 23, 2014 at 6:38AM
More Discussions
Did you know - GW now part of Houzz?
I guess word has gotten around by now, but I haven't...
outsideplaying_gw
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all my fellow gardners.
jcalhoun
anyone know muscadines?
Hi all: I bought two muscadines at a big box store...
MiKru
Anyone growing
Are you growing or have you tried to grow Pineapple...
plantman71
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™