Sad news for Alabama gardeners

cena60January 22, 2014

For those of you who knew Margaret Crow, aka Nigella - your friend in the garden, she passed away Sunday morning. She had lung cancer with symptoms starting a couple of months ago and the disease progressed quite quickly.

If you wish to assist her family, rememberingmargaretmarie@gmail.com
or you can visit her Artfire site by typing in Jewelry On The Rocks after you get to Artfire.

My friend in the garden will be missed!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ourhighlandhome

According to GW records, I joined in March 2001. Shortly after that I placed my first post, looking to trade for white butterfly ginger. Margaret replied, said "no trade necessary, just send me some postage and I'll fill a box with gingers for you".

Being new to the board, wanting to impress, (and a bit naive), I sent her $10.00 in postage, expecting a few rhizomes in return. What I received was a massive box filled with some of the most exciting things a new gardener could ever expect. Margaret went out of her way to make sure I was satisfied, even placing the unused postage in the box. That set the bar for me as far as trading/exchanges go, and I've always tried to match or exceed Margaret's standard.

"Thank You!" Margaret ("Nigella") for making such a "first impression", for setting my standard when trading, and for that first box of goodies that still stands out in my mind and excites me! You remain one of the best, and I will never forget you or your generosity...promise!

Much peace, love and appreciation.

Your friend in the garden,

Nelson

P.S. - is Margaret's friend Jenny(?) still around? Would love to hear from her. She attended one of the first Central Alabama Plant Swaps all the way from Mobile to B'ham and brought a "fortune" of plants that several of us still enjoy growing today! We haven't forgotten her, either.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 12:31AM
topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)

So sorry to hear this. Always sad when a garden looses its partner.

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 1:43AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Jewelry On The Rocks

Here is a link that might be useful: Jewelry On The Rocks

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 3:41PM
outsideplaying_gw(7)

Just now reading this news. So sad to lose another gardener. Nelson, nice story!

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 10:37AM
More Discussions
Evergreen Hedge
I need help figuring out what tree/bush that I could...
cruiser4life
Moving from Ohio to Alabama
We will be moving sometime this year to northern Alabama,...
ediej1209
AL has the best weeds (part II)
That thread was getting a bit long to load. Boy did...
alabamanicole
Fall Swap 2014
It's time to start thinking about the fall swap. We...
browneyedsusan_gw
Update on Kenneth/madabouteu
Just wanted to let you know that Kenneth is in UAB...
catbird
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™