Woodlanders Nursery

Josh(z8a)February 4, 2006

I'm looking for unusual, rarely seen for sale locally, shrubs and trees. Examples: Callistemon, Arbutus unedo, and Koelreuteria bipinnata. Also another Aralia spinosa having left one behind on recent move.

I've found them at Woodlanders but can't find info on-site about sizes or shipping costs. Has anyone had experience with these folks? I like to order from nurseries in southeast, and don't mind small plants as long as very well rooted. And I of course know shipping/handling is high...just want a definite total amount.

I'd appreciate your comments...pro or con. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodlanders

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Josh(z8a)

Sorry, correct link is

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodlanders

Bookmark   February 4, 2006 at 7:16AM
tsmith2579(7B)

I've never had good luck with Woodlanders. I believe they substituted something else for what I ordered too often for sheer coincidence. The items I received were in good shape but few grew well and seldom lived more than two seasons. I always wound up with a non-refundable credit of a few dollars due to substitutions which was sort of an incentive to buy more stuff or lose your credit. My last experience with them was when I called to complain about a brug which when it bloomed was not true to type. I asked it I could mail it back to them and get a credit or a repplacement. They pretty much told me they didn't care about my complaint. That was my last order from them. Since then, I believe they have new owners but I still do not do business with them. They certainly have some interesting, hard to find items, if you can get them. Now let me say this. I did order a double oakleaf hydrangea from them which has grown well and has been absolutely beautiful. It is the pride of the garden.

Bookmark   February 4, 2006 at 12:28PM
roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)

Josh - check out Gardenwatchdog for more info on them - link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenwatchdog

Bookmark   February 4, 2006 at 9:24PM
Josh(z8a)

Thanks, tsmith, for the feedback. I had ordered from original owners years ago and had good experience with plants received. Somewhere I had read of the change(s) in ownership and service, and after hearing of your experience and checking the Garden Watchdog (thanks, Rosey) I see I was right to be concerned.

Back to looking...may have to order from Forestfarm after all. I just prefer ordering closer to home if possible. Thanks again. josh

Bookmark   February 5, 2006 at 2:15AM
More Discussions
Interactive USDA Zone Map
I ran across this neat map that lets you zoom almost...
ourhighlandhome
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to all my fellow gardners.
jcalhoun
Living willow tunnel
I want to build a living tunnel in the backyard for...
hoover67
Fall Swap 2014
It's time to start thinking about the fall swap. We...
browneyedsusan_gw
Good custom fence company-Etowah/calhoun county
I have struggled with the decision of whether or not...
zelenkabach
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™