prune lantana?

michelle11(z7 AL)February 27, 2006

Is it time to prune lantana now? What happens if you don't prune it? Does it continue to grow on old wood (mine has several branches that look OLD)? Does it tend to do better if you cut it back to the ground?

Thanks for any help! This is the first spring I have had one. I am in Birmingham, if that helps.

Michelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Most of the professional suggestions I've seen for our area suggest that we wait until spring green-up (or just before) to cut lantana back to the ground. It will not regrow on old wood. As a matter of fact, much of the lantana that I've seen since living here in Huntsville (only 3 years), does not return at all. (I've not grown any myself since moving here so I don't know what the story with that is.) Perhaps it will behave differently in Birmingham, though I see that you've posted 7 as your USDA climate zone.

In warmer climates, it can be cut back earlier to remove the unsightly branches.

Bookmark   February 27, 2006 at 12:30PM
debbido(z 7b/8a)

Hey Michelle,

Mine comes back whether I cut it back or not. Mine is still up. I will prune it back soon. It is very late coming up. In fact, you will probably think it is dead and then one day you will see it coming back from the roots.

Deb

Bookmark   February 28, 2006 at 12:25AM
loveofmylife680(z7)

Michelle I read several years ago in a southern living mag. not to cut back because water will get in the stems and cause the plant to rot I cant remember when it said to cut it back but I do trim mine just a little then when I see new growth I cut the stem back some more, not saying thats the right thing to do its just what I do. Maybe you can research at southern living site and might find the story.
Jill

Bookmark   March 2, 2006 at 10:55AM
kimber_40_yahoo_com

I live in Ohio and I want to save my lantanas.. they are simply beautiful and wish to keep them over the winter months if possible. Any suggestions? I can bring them indoors ..should I repot them? Trim them back? etc? Thanks in advance for a reply.

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
Fall Swap 2014
It's time to start thinking about the fall swap. We...
browneyedsusan_gw
Spring Swap 2015: food sign ups
Please sign up here to bring food to the May 16 spring...
browneyedsusan_gw
Good custom fence company-Etowah/calhoun county
I have struggled with the decision of whether or not...
zelenkabach
Want long leaf pine
Does anyone know of a source for long leaf pine seeds...
josephene_gw
Goodbye GardenWed Gardners...
Just logged in to say goodbye... This will be my first...
mrdoitall
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™